Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

How can I get rid of bird mites on my cat They have also gotten

Customer Question
How can I get rid...
How can I get rid of bird mites on my cat? They have also gotten on me and they don't seem to be controllable with Frontline or OTC treatments.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cat
9/10/2010
Cat Vet: Candy R., Veterinary Technician replied 7 years ago
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

Can you tell me how long this has been a problem

Are you sure this is bird mites have they been diagnosed by your vet

Have you tried any medications besides the frontline

The problem has persisted for several months. Atfirst I thougfht I had bed bugs and havbe had the entire house sprayed by a professional firm three times. However, none of these treatments got rid of the problem and I have been researching it on the internet. It became clear that we have bird mites aboutr a month ago, because when I pick up my cat, I feel a slimy cover and I have become infested with the same critters, which are not visible to the human eye. I have just had my cat treated with Revolution (selemectin) by my local vet, who confirmed that they were bird mites. The vet had never encountered them before, but did observe them under a microscope and by referral to a vet web site. The selectin apparently takes several weeks to achieve results, but I am concerned that my cat has made me a carrier and I have not had a selectin treatment.

Ok I am glad to hear you are now using the revolution which was going to be my suggestion as it is the only topical that helps.

Unfortunately it is very likely that the house is infected and this requires different treatment the bed bugs

You can treat the floors carpet and furniture with boric acid just apply the powder allow to sit for 60 minutes and vacuum.

There are several natural treatments that are said to work in the home and for humans

Here is a link to home remedies

http://www.birdmites.org/strategies.html

Unfortunately you may need to have another pest control company come out but it is important that they have experience eradicating the bird mites. Often tenting of the house is necessary.

You will also need to see your doctor for treatment, as these mites do excrete waste products that are toxic to the human body.

Hopefully the revolution will help with the mites on the cat however if they are in the house they will likely continue to reinfect the cat and you as well.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician

I just sent you a long response, but must have erased it by putting pressure on the wrong key. While I was disappointed in your earlier reply (you told me nothing I didn't know), I think I was asking you a question about what I could do to get rid of the bird mites on me, now that we have treated Maple with Selectamin and I have sharply reduced all insect populations in my house. I understand that you are a vet and will insist in having me get any advice about dealing with my personal infestation with a human doctor. The doctors I have spoken with seemed intriqued, but completly ignoran about bird mites. Both had been hearing about them a lot, but never had a "case". I don't want to be guinea pig wo must write out checks.

So I accept your answer because you answered the best way you could without helping a two legged patient. I was hoping you could tell me that Pfizer - or someone - had developed a human form of Selectamin, marketed under the name "Mitigation" or "Defleasance" - so I can share in Maple's relief.

If Pfizer hasn't seen the opportunity, a Chinese or Eastern European entrepreneur will realize the potential windfall in selling relief to bug mite infestation toi humans (based on the blogs, there is more demant than for Viaggra). If you tell me your email or how I can get in touch with you when I find "human Selectamin", I will do so.

That way you can easily give fiture Richards the answer they are desperately seeking about ridding bord mites fom their life without violating your veternary ethics.

Candi: "While the selectamin given Maple by your vet should do the trick, the medication is not approved for humans. However, if you consult your internist, I have heard that the same treatment is availble for human use under the brand name ......"

As explained above, I would like you to see this reply, but am accepting your earlier answer. My expectations were unrealistic.

Thanks

Richard Windels [email protected].

Thank you very much Richard,I am not a vet but a veterinary nurse for 23+years I did not realize you were looking more for a treatment for your self and not Maple. Bird mites infestations can not maintain on humans and humans do not become carriers Can you transport mites on your clothing shoes etc yes but once the problem is cleared from the environment and pets then the effect on the human should be gone as well. Right now the treatment for humans centers around controlling the itching with anti-pruritic (ant itch)medications and antihistamines.

Here is some information not detailed but information none the less

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5i.htm

I would love to hear any information you may find on the subject.

You can always reply back to this thread at any time as it does not close.

I wish you and maple the best and hope things get better soon.

Thank you for the accept

Candy

Edited by CandyR on 9/12/2010 at 1:18 PM EST
Candy R.
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician