Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 12+ years experience
21393945

My cat is wheezing. When he purrs he stops purring and coughs

My cat is wheezing. When he purrs he stops purring and coughs and starts swallowing alot. Eyes little watery. Almost sounds like a cold. Has been acting ok throughout the day. He seems to be breathing harder than normal but not at a fast pace.

Teresa

A respiratory virus is possible. Most of the time, these will present with sneezing, or nasal discharge but a cough is possible. A haiball could also cough an interuption to purring and cause some cough-like activity. An upset stomach with a little gastric reflux is possible. As the acid refluxes it can irritate the throat and cause a cough. Finally, heart disease is possible. If the heart is not functioning effeciently, this can lead to fluid backup in the lungs which can ellicite a cough. While I would not expect this at 5 years of age, it is possible. Allergies are a potential issue as well with asthma being a more severe manifestation. I would try a 1/4 tablet of pepcid AC or tagament twice daily to reduce some stomach acid production. You can also give a teaspoon of maalox twice daily to help coat the system. It may be worth try a hairball remedy as well. I like Laxatone, but there are others. If you feel the signs are more respiratory, then Benedryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice daily may be worth a try. Either way, if these tricks are not helping or you are not seeing an improvement, it will be worth a vet visit to investigate some of these potential issues. Xrays and bloodwork are likely tests your vet would start with. I hope this helps and gives you direction.

thanks.

Dr. Jeff