GenB
GenB, Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Kitten, Adult, Geriatric Cat Care Specialist/ B.A. Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/ Plain English!
1298761

MY 5 WEEK OLD KITTENS HAVE GOOP IN THERE EYES. IT SEALS THEM

MY 5 WEEK OLD KITTENS HAVE GOOP IN THERE EYES. IT SEALS THEM SHUT. MAINLY ITS ON 3 OUT OF THE 4 KITTENS AND ONLY ON ONE EYE. WHEN I CHECK THEM IN THE MORNING I HAVE TO USE A WET CLOTH TO REMOVE IT. TODAY WHEN I DID IT, PUSS OOZED OUT TWICE ON ONE KITTY.THE MAMA CAT IS A STRAY, ABOUT 5-6 MONTHS OLD. SHE HAD THE LITTER IN MY BACK YARD AND I BROUGHT THEM IN THE SAME DAY. I'M PLANNING ON FINDING HOMES FOR THEM ALL, BUT I CAN'T AFFORD A VET VISIT FOR THIS EYE PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP?
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question...I am so sorry that this tiny family is having such a hard time!

Kittens are often born to mothers that are carrying a herpes virus, or other viral illnesses. These highly contagious viruses can affect the eyes in this way - painfully - and can lead to loss of vision if secondary bacterial infections take over.

The most common medication used to treat these types of kittens is called Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment (by Pfizer Animal Health). Unfortunately, it has been on a manufacturer's backorder for some time...most online suppliers are completely out. Your local pet supply stores may still have some in stock, so make some calls to find out.

Ask the pet store if they also carry an l-lysine supplement for cats. This is an amino acid that helps prevent herpes viruses from reproducing in the body, and there are now several products that are labeled for use in pet cats.

Feed Momma and the kits the best-quality, meat-based canned food that you can afford...the immune system cannot develop and work properly if grain-based foods are used in carnivores.

In the meantime, continue keeping them clean. Instead of plain tap water, use a sterile saline, such as is used by contact lens wearers to clean their lenses and rinse their eyes. Put the bottle in a warm water bath before using it, so that the warmth helps dissolve the crusts. Rubbing the eyelids can make things worse.

Ask your pharmacist for an over-the-counter eye drop called Refresh Celluvisc (by Allergan). These drops can be used to moisturize and protect the eyes...use them 4-6 times daily. These drops are unmedicated, but can help protect the eyes from discomfort and crusting from poor tear production.

If you cannot locate a stock of Terramycin, you should take the worst kitten for an exam. This way you can get a certain diagnosis and obtain an effective prescription antibiotic at a reasonable cost to use for everyone.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY" below.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. MY MOTHER IN LAW SAID SHE USED TO CLEAN HER CATS EYES WITH BORIC ACID MIXED WITH WATER, WHEN THEY HAD CRUST. IS THIS OLD FASHIONED REMEDY SAFE? ALSO THE SALINE I HAVE ON HAND IS THE KIND FOR YOUR NOSE. IS THAT SAFE? IS VISINE MOISTURE DROPS SAFE? THE BRAND OF CONTACT CLEANER I HAVE IS CALLED OPTI-FRESH REPLENISH.

I WILL GO TO THE STORE TO TRY TO FIND WHAT YOU REC.

I would steer clear of home remedies that involve mixing chemicals...a kitten's eyes are very soft and sensitive, and when infected are even more so.

Some people do use a damp tea bag that has cooled to room temperature to try and disinfect these types of cases.

Use a saline rinse that is labeled for use in the EYES...if the Opti-Free cleaner is not labeled to drip in the eyes, then do not use it (the company info I am looking at does NOT include use directly in the eyes). Ask the pharmacist to help you find a plain saline to rinse in the eyes.

The Celluvisc drops will hopefully help get things working more smoothly as far as tear production and rinsing is concerned.

Click here to see more detailed info about Herpes viral infection in cats
.

Let me know if you have other great questions about all this!

Edited by GenB on 8/22/2010 at 10:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WHAT HAPPENS IF IT DOESN'T GO AWAY? WILL THEY TURN BLIND?

This is why there should be an exam for the one with the pus if it does not clear up within a day...bacteria can chew down through the cornea (skin of the eye) and damage sight permanently (or rupture the eye itself). The fact that you are finding pus does concern me at this point.

Herpes is a chronic condition...that is: once a body is infected, this virus can "hide out" and break out again-and-again whenever the immune system is weakened by any other situation or challenge.

Lysine and a good diet helps tremendously once the initial outbreak is under control.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you soooo much. you've been great!
Thanks for the Accept and the Feedback - I'll be holding a Good Thought for you all!