Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I need to express my cats bladder at least twice a day. I

Customer Question
I need to express my...
I need to express my cat's bladder at least twice a day. I was shown how to do it but now that we're back home I can't locate the bladder. Can you help me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cat
7/15/2010
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thanks for using our service.

I'm working on sketching a drawing for you really quickly on where to locate the bladder. Stand by.
You need more information? What do you need to know?
Alrighty, here's my cat drawing. Don't laugh, I'm even worse at drawing when I'm not using Paint!

graphic

The black is the drawing of the cat. The blue marks indicate the end of the ribcage and where the hips are located at the spine. This should give you a good idea of what landmarks you can look for when looking for the bladder.

One of the fastest ways I can think for you to find the EXACT location of the bladder is to grab a water-soaked cotton ball, turn your cat FLAT on his back (don't worry, he's not the only cat in the world who doesn't appreciate this) and squeeze the water onto his lower belly. The water will pool at the direct center of his body, over the bladder. We use this same method with alcohol in Veterinary Medicine when we need to insert a needle directly through the body and into the bladder. Hasn't failed me yet (and I've been using it for about 8 years). This will tell you that you're right OVER the bladder (meaning the bladder is directly under the pooled water. Now all you have to do is dry that area, mark it with a pen or marker (if you'd like) and feel directly under (or over, if you right him) for the bladder. The bladder is literally the only object in the lower abdomen that should take on a round shape. In some very thin animals you can press very deep into their lower abdomen and feel their pelvis (this should give you an idea of just how low its located). Often when trying to express a pet with them standing directly up as per normal, your fingers will be on either side of the bladder and you'll notice them less than 1/2" further forward than the hip bones.

It's important to note that unless he's been drinking really well throughout the day, he may not have a bladder that you can feel. And it may be larger or smaller than a lemon. Generally speaking, there's not a whole lot in the abdomen that gentle squeezing is going to hurt. Some animals express very easily (barely applying pressure and they pee) and some animals you really have to focus steady pressure on in order to get them to pee. Luckily for you, in most boy cats...if you're watching their genitals and you palpate their bladder, you'll notice movement. This is especially true in boys that still CAN hold it. They mentally try to tell themselves "no, don't pee yet" and that's when you'll notice the smaller muscles around the penis moving...when the cat is trying to resist peeing.

It may be easier to have someone hold him on his back so that you may use water to use the pooling trick I've suggested. In addition, you may need a set of spare hands to keep him from running off. It will not hurt him to try to express his bladder while he's on his back, on his side or standing up normally as long as you are squeezing the bladder and not putting unnecessary pressure on his spine. Most cats aren't happy about manually being expressed, but they don't act like they're being hurt. So, if he shows any signs of pain back off and give him a few moments to rest. You might also keep a cat box near. If he is ABLE to go on his own, often trying to make them pee encourages them to have to go and some boys will hop up and run right over to the litter box and pee. This may not be the case with him, of course, since there's obvious reason that you're having to express him.

If this doesn't help or you need clarification, just let me know.

If my answer has helped you, please click accept. If not, reply. I personally don't get paid for my work unless you click the accept button. Thanks so much and good luck with your boy!

Did this work for you? Were you successful in expressing his bladder? Do you need further assistance??
Thank you for your very clear instructions. You make it easier than any of the internet others to locate the bladder. Unfortunately, clear as your directions are, I still haven't found it. However because of the clarity of your response in comparison to other directions I've read I am fully confident that when I try again in an hour I'll find it. I phoned the 24-hour vet hospital where my cat had been earlier today and they told me the bladder is not always in the same place every time it's searched for!!! And I am assuming I needn't panic because if I can't find the bladder that means its skin is not stretched to dangerous proportions and I can wait until morning if I'm not successful tonight. Thank you again for your clear and easy to follow instructions.

You're very welcome! If you need more assistance, just let me know. Good luck with your boy!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you very much for your accept and generous bonus! I'm sending this msg as a "need info" so you won't be prompted to accept again. :)
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse