Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat has a lump on his adams apple. Within the last week,

My cat has a lump on his adam's apple.
Within the last week, he has had labored breathing,wheezing, and excessive saliva(drooling) He is 15 years old in August.
We took him in to our vet and we are waiting for the biopsy results.
Is surgery possible to remove the growth from his throat?
He is still healthy in every other regard.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I will wait for you to reply so we can discuss.

Customer :

hello

Dr. Andy :

Okay. It really depends. If it is cancerous, it may be difficult to fully excise it.

Dr. Andy :

Under certain circumstances, radiation treatment, first, can be very successful to shrink it, and then surgical intervention is considered.

Dr. Andy :

So, the biopsy result will be very important. I could, or your vet, go as far as saying a CT may be indicated first, to know how infiltrative it is into the throat area. There is a lot of "hardware" for the body in the throat, and it may further complicate any surgical procedure being performed.

Dr. Andy :

Tough. Got to start with the biopsy to know what you are dealing with before moving forward.

Dr. Andy :

Customer :

Are there any specific questions we shouls ask our vet once we know what it is, and do you know Dr. Gregory( former instructor @ UC Davis) He is the Vet we are going to see.

Dr. Andy :

Yep. I know him. He was one of my instructors. Very capable. Specific questions should include:
1. If cancerous, is a CT or other imaging scan recommended to know how infiltrative the cancer is before considering surgery.
2. Is radiation treatment a possible consideration before surgery?

Dr. Andy :

Dr. andy

Customer :

Thank You!!!!

Customer :

I will contact again tomorrow once we get the biopsy results

Dr. Andy :

You are welcome. Good Luck. Please remember to click accept, so I can receive credit for my time, if the answer has been helpful or informative. Thanks XXXXX

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck