Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Hello. Ive taken my cat to the vet 4 times this month. First…

Customer Question
<p>Hello. I've taken my cat...
<p>Hello. I've taken my cat to the vet 4 times this month. First they diagnosed her with a upper respiratory infection. During that time, they did xrays (all negative) and a couple shots, Cerenia and Ketoprofen. At that time, she was 9.2 lbs. Well, less than 2 weeks later, she's lethargic and little/to no appetite. She only eats her treats, barely picks at her food. On Friday I brought her back in to my vet and she was 6.9 lbs (losing 2.4 lbs in less than 2 weeks). Sse just did not have a bowel movement in 5 days. She finally had one yesterday...but now she's lethargic and not eating again. They gave her a shot when I brought her in 2 days ago...of Cerenia. Looking online I see the side effects of Cerenia are lethargic and loss of appetite. Before the respiratory infection, she was eating fine and having bowel movements fine. I'm concerned. Loss of weight, not eating, rare bowel movements. Is it the Cerenia, or something else?</p><p>Also, they told me that her white blood cell count is low. They said it should be between 5.5-11. Earlier in the month it was measured to be 4.7. 2 days ago it was 4.9 - so higher, but still low under the range. I don't know if this has something to do with it as well....</p>
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/28/2010
Cat Vet: Candy R., Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

Was she vomiting at all when you took her to the vet

Did they give a shot of Cerenia or Convenia- cerenia is for vomiting convenia is an antibiotic injection

Was any blood work done

Does the respiratory infection seem to be clearing up

I may have additional questions but this will get us started

Both times it was a shot of Cerenia. She was vomiting, and I was told that is why they gave her the shot. Since the 25th (which was when I last brought her in and they last time they gave her a shot of Cerenia), she has not vomited.

They did bloodwork a few times. On the 25th it was done just to see what her WBC was.The vet - back on the 12th and 14th of the month, her previous 2 visits- that the kidneys seemed to be fine and that he did not see any parasites in the blood. Off the top of my head, that is all that I can recall.

The respiratory infection does seem to be gone. Her nose was dripping wet, she was sneezing, and her eyes were more pink than normal and she even had yellow mucus in her eyes. All those symptoms have cleared up.

I'm really concerned about her. I don't know if its the Cerenia, maybe I need to see a different vet, or I don't know what is wrong with her. She is normally 100% healthy and active and full of energy. This all just started.

One other note: I just had a 2-day cross country move from Colorado to California on June 1st. I know this probably stressed her out, but she's moved 2 multiple times on big trips before and she's usually fine after a day or two. Then on the 8th she had a dental cleaning and I know they had to give her anesthesia for that. It was after the dental cleaning about 4-5 days later when I brought her in on the 12th and the 14th they said she had comedown with a respiratory infection. So, that is a bit more of the history of everything that has gone on this month...

I have referred your question to a Vet on the site she will be contacting you shortly
Thanks Candy, I'll be waiting to hear from the Vet...

Dr Z will be contacting you very shortly please do not respond back to me or she will be unable to access your question.

I am sure she will be a great help

Best Wishes

Candy

Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian

I will try to see if I can shed any further light on the subject here. Let me first review and you can correct if I am missing something.

On June 1, she had a big move then on June 8th she had a hospitalization and general anesthesia for a dental prophy. About 4-5 days later is when the sneezing and runny eyes/nose started (I am assuming fever as well). At that time she was also vomiting. She was given ketoprofen and cerenia. Her bloodwork then showed all ok except slightly decreased WBC. Her appetite and activity level have decreased, she is losing weight and and the vomiting continues on and off so on the 25th they rechecked her WBC which was slightly better but still low. She is no longer vomiting, but she is still not eating well.

If this is accurate, let me tell you the things that I wonder about and maybe that will be something to persue. I am not too worried about the cerenia as in most vet's hands, it appears to be pretty safe and without the side effects you mention. If those effects are from the manufacturer website, they are just being extra cautious, but most of us do not have problems with it. That being said, all animals react differently to various drugs, so we never want to say never. I would be more worried about the Ketoprofen which I assume they gave as a fever reducer. This is a NSAID or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent and in most cases is safe. It does however have the potential to cause problems, especially if there is pre-existing kidney disease or if they are dehydrated or hypotensive. The problems can be seen as GI irritation or kidney compromise. Seeing as her eating and water intake was off before she received the ketoprofen (moving, fasting for anesthesia, vomiting, etc) she may have been a little dehydrated and that could lead to slightly higher risk of a side effect. You mentioned that they checked her kidney values but it sounds like that was when she had the injection. If it hasn't been checked recently, I would verify her kidneys are not affected. If she has GI irritation from the injection, her blood work may be normal, but it could be causing the anorexia. I would also have her evaluated for pancreatitis with an ultrasound and a blood test called a PLI if she has not been.

You didn't mention if she has had any fluid therapy through all of this, but if she is losing weight and not eating well, she definitely needs some. Also there is a drug called Mirtazapine which is an anti-vomiting medication with appetite stimulant effects that you could switch her to, if there is any concern about the Cerenia. It is very effective and is given orally every 3 days. I would not be too worried about the WBC, especially since it is improving. I see many cats who chronically run a little low and it probably dipped when she was fighting off the virus.

I hope this gives you some guidence to go on. Please let me know if you have furhter questions and I will be happy to comment.

Yes, the Ketoprofen was for painkiller and a slight increase in temperature. They checked the kidneys on the 14th, but not since then. So you think I should go to the vet and request a followup check on the kidneys, an ultrasound of the pancreas, and a blood test called a PLI?

Also, there has been no take-home medication or any pills or fluid therapy at all during the process. She usually eats dry food, but the vet told me to start her on wet can food, so I've been offering her both of those. That is about the only thing that has changed...

If she had the injection on the 12th and her only kidney test was on the 14th, I would definitely have it rechecked now. It may be elevated partly now from other causes as well as I am sure after 2 weeks of a decreased food intake she is running a little dehydrated. I would absolutley make sure she gets some fluids, even if it is just SQ fluids given under the skin and I would switch her to Mirtazapine, even if she got the Cerenia on the 25th. If those things aren't making a difference, I would pursue the pancreatitis.
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you very much for all of your help!!
You are welcome and I hope she is better soon - It sounds like she has had a rough month!