Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

cat: vet until about 6 weeks into pregancy

Customer Question
my cat just had surgery...
my cat just had surgery for pyometra. she was pregant but the kittens died in her. Due to financial problems i couldnt take her to the vet until about 6 weeks into pregancy. When i did they did an xray and only saw 2 kittens. the vet sent us both home 1hr after that visit she started bleedihg alot from vagina i rushed her back. found out she had pyometra, shes been home since friday 10am now sunday 4am she is breath heavy and fast, will not drink anything im giving water with dropper but she is eating alittle. I am so wooried something is stll wrong and no vet open until monday what should i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Cat Vet: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear that your little one is feeling this way. The tough situation is that with your vet not being available till monday, that means a visit with them is out of the question. Ideally a recheck with the ER clinic prior to that would be good so they can do a physical exam to evaluate how she is doing in this post surgical situation.

If this visit isn't one that can be done, then the absolute best thing to do is to continue to do medications as directed by your vet (hopefully a pain medication and an antibiotic). I would continue to keep her in a quiet area where she can rest. Continue to provide good nursing care witht he syringe watering and keep up her nutrition. It is good that she wants to eat and has - even if a little.

Edited by Dr. Bruce on 6/27/2010 at 8:18 AM EST
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

i just realized she hast used the potty since i cleanned it sat about 6pm can she septic? also i dont have thermomiter is there a way like fell her head or dry nose to tell if she has a fever? and they gave her an antibiotic shot that lasts 10 days but nothing for discomfort i know cats cant proccess tylonal is there any thing i can do for her

As far as her going septic - that is a possibility. The antibiotic shot most likely was a convenia injection, a longer acting antibiotic. These cases are ones that are tough. If she had any pre-surgery blood work, that could help us to know if anything else was going on. You are very, very correct in that cats can't tollerate tylenol. You don't have any pain meds at home that are safe for her system. If you can get a thermometer, her temp should not be above 102.5. If she's above this, then she's running a fever.