Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

kittens: Veterinary..15 years and have bottle fed..Out of a litter…

Customer Question
Hello, I have been a Veterinary...

I have been a Veterinary Technician for 15 years and have bottle fed and fostered too many kittens to count. All has gone relatively smoothly up until 1 month ago. Out of a litter of four, one survived. This new litter of four - not doing that great, and one little girl looks like a little skeleton. Can you help me? I have them on KMR milk replacer. First couple of weeks they do great, then suddenly the stool gets extremely watery and they dehydrate quickly & get lethargic. The Veterinarians I work with have had me try: Amoxi, Albon, Forti-flora mxed in with Recovery RS canned food that I syringe feed, +/- yogurt. Now the stools are better; however, the feces look & smell like the food they are eating. It's like its just passing right on through and they are not absorbing the nutrients. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the little girl if I don't figure this out. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/26/2010
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Are these two litters from the same mother?

How many fecal were run?

How old are the sick kittens?

Thanks,

Terri

Terri,

Thanks for replying!

These two litters have different mothers. Two fecals were ran. First one did show an increase in bacteria; therefore, one of our Veterinarians recommended Amoxi drops.

Within 5 days, loose stool began to look like loose curdled milk & all kittens took a turn for the worse.

Second fecal ran: Too low of a bacterial count. Amoxi was stopped and Forti-flora was started. Both fecals were negative for parasites, but Albon was started as precautionary. Stools firmed up, but then began to look & smell like the food itself.

The group of kittens I have now are about 4 weeks old. Trying to eat on their own - just haven't quite got the hang of it yet. The little girl is half the size she should be and isn't interested in trying to eat on her own. She won't take the KMR bottle, either.

Thank you,

Dear XXXXX,

May God bless you for fostering!

First, let me tell you how to save a fading kitten:
Give 25 cc of subQ. Works like magic!

I think you are dealing with an occult parasite even though they have tested negative.

So albon should be given.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/giardia.html

http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infosheets/tritrichomonas.html

You may want to have your vet run a diarrhea panel such as one like this

http://www.zoologix.com/dogcat/Datasheets/FelineDiarrheaPanel.htm

http://cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/documents/ownersguide_tfoetus_revised042808.pdf

from that author

"Tritrichomonas foetus is a flagellated protozoan parasite of domestic cats that resides within the lumen of the colon and causes colitis and chronic, foul-smelling diarrhea. The infection is prevalent among cattery cats where transmission via the fecal-oral route is suspected. Infected cats may have persistent diarrhea for up to 2 years and can remain infected for their lifetime."

More here http://cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/documents/veterinary_practice_news_2004.pdf

if they cannot tolerate cat food, use human baby meat.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

It is imperative they take a probiotic. Either benebac or www.culturelle.com

Please let me know how they are doing.

Best wishes for them,

Terri

Terri,

Again, thank you so much for your help. You mentioned Albon - which they are still on & I will continue that.

The Benebac you mentioned - can I get that at PetSmart? If I have to order something, I don't think this kitten will last until the product ships & arrives. If I have to drive to go get the item - that's not a problem at all.

Get any acidophilus like culturelle or benebac or fortiflora in a pet store.

In the meantime give a quarter tsp of plain yogurt.

Give her the subQ strait away.It will hydrate amnd revitalize her.

Rub a drop of pancake syrup into her gums.

Please keep in touch and let me know how she does.

Best wishes and prayers for her,

Terri