Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 2 mo old kitten is having trouble breathing

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

How long is she like this?
What and when did she eat last?
Are her gums pale or white?
Indoor kitty?
Thanks,

Terri

He is 2 mo old, only had him since sunday. Got him for a shelter.

He was eating a little yesterday, but barely drank anything.

His gums aren't as pink as they probably should be. He is an indoor cat.

Other symptoms: Cool ears, sneezing a clear discharge, and a cough (almost seems like a hairball, but he may be too young?)

Dear friend,

May god bless you for saving a shelter kitty!
I am sorry your new baby is not feeling well.

It sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection which is analogous to our common cold.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats he likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed him very odorous food so he can smell it and will keep eating. If he gets dehydrated, give him a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte throughout the day to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

You can also take him in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from http://www.revivalanimal.com/

Apply a damp teabag today for 30 seconds 3 times.

If he develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.

Please let me know how he is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri

I've been trying to get him to drink the water from canned tuna but he wont - should we turn to making him eat with a dropper?

Also- how long should it take to get over this and what should we take him to the vet for?

If he refuses to eat and is still acting this way when his vet opens I would have him seen.Or if the shelter has a vet on staff, go there with him.

He may need subQ fluids or an antibiotic.

Check inside his mouth for a stuck item or any abnormalities.

Rub a drop of pancake syrup in his mouth to raise his blood sugar in case he is hypoglycemic

Please let me know how he is later.

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thank you so much!

I've had cats all my life but he's the first one to be ill like this.

We'll visit the vet when they open, and pick up some foods for him when stores open. Thank you again.

You are more than welcome!

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

Please let me know how he is later.

Best wishes,

Terri