Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 10yr old female cat has jaundice and green urine (its green…

Customer Question
My 10yr old female cat...
My 10yr old female cat has jaundice and green urine (it's green when I breakup clumped litter). She was always a bit overweight and occasional itch on tips of ears and belly. Jaundice occured 2wks ago after my cat stopped eating new food the vet recommended I change to: XXXXX XXXXX and she lost 5pounds about one week before I took her to vet. She was eating less and then nothing. Blood test shows all normal excep Bilirubin, ALT and ALP levels extremely high (about 5 times than normal) CGMH down, Hematocryte slightly higher, Lymphocytes slightly lower. T4 is normal. She smells foods, even her favorite but she smells them and walks away. Been force feeding her but she throws up 3 to 5 hrs after some - not all- feedings! Sometimes she has saliva frothing in her mouth. HELP PLEASE!I feel sad and helpless! Should I keep force feeding or is it time to let her go?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/25/2010
Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian

So I just want to clarify, did the weight loss occur after the food was switched?

Has she been seen by your vet since her appetite decreased?

Has your vet done any testing to determine the cause of her jaundice?

Thanks and I will reply after you respond.

Yes weight loss occured about one month after I switched to Medical HP which was the vet's suggestion. Before that I was feeding her Nutrience Adult and she's always eaten that without problems.

I saw the vet one month after switch, when she stopped eating the food. She weighed 5 pounds less. And had two small faintly yellow spots on her skin. At this time the vet informed me it is beginning of jaundice and took blood test. Test results showed extremely high bilirubin, ALT and ALP levels. Everything else was normal except CGMH (hematology) level was slightly lower than normal levels and Hematocryte level slightly higher. Two days after blood test, her face turned yellow and her body. However vet was closing for weekend and I had to go on a Monday after weekend went by so vet can give me 12 ml syringes and Medical Convalesence canned food and started force feeding.(That was last Monday June 14. She diagnosed it as Hepatic Lipidosis but can't confirm why jaundice occured and suggested next step is to do biopsy but I thought this is crazy! Why stress the cat out more? Can't understand why blood test isn't enough?

I got 2nd opinion from another vet since they have serenia (not sure of spelling) anti-nausea vaccination. I heard from another cat owner that serenia was more effective compared to Metaclop anti-nausea pills. But this vet suggested wait to see if my cat would continue to eat Purina Proplan in can. If not then get serenia which lasts 24 hrs and they can only give this vaccination twice max since it's approved for dogs but not for cats since studies were based on testing with dogs. However vets widely use it for cats and it seems to be effective. Otherwise this vet also suggested echography / scan / ultrasound to see if there is any mass like a tumour that could be causing jaundice. But I am hoping there is something that can be done to avoid this.

I tried all kinds of canned Turkey foods, commercial to holistic but she seemed to eat very little of Purina Proplan in can (turkey and Rice). But even now she seems not as interested...

I'm very curious about the green fluorescent color in her urine in the clumping litter. My second cat is absolutely normal. Also wondering about this problem possibly being viral or contageous between cats and also between cats and humans.
Thank you!

All of this information is very concerning and I agree that it sure sounds consistent with hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver. This is a bad disease that needs to be treated aggressively if there is any chance of recovery. It is possible that the whole problem started when the food was changed and she may not have liked it too well so her caloric intake decreased. It is especially dangerous for an overweight cat to decrease their calorie intake. It is also possible that there may be underlying liver or other disease that caused the anorexia and led to the fatty liver. In any case, treatment is the same.

As far as diagnosing it for certain, bloodwork, xray and ultrasound can only support the suspicion, but a sample of liver cells are needed to confirm. They will however help to rule out other possible causes of the fatty liver. To get a sample of the cells, a needle aspirate is possible to confirm which can be done during an ultrasound. Depending on her condition, it may be best not to anesthetize her for a biopsy. If your vet feels she can handle it however, that may be the best route to go so that a feeding tube of some sort may be placed. A feeding tube is a way to administer liquefied food to increase her caloric intake and, in my opinion, is really the only way to go to save these cats.

I am linking an article that gives an excellent explanation or the disease and treatment. Do not drag your feet about doing things with her and your best chance of helping her is with aggressive nutritional support which usually cannot be provided by force feeding, especially if they are vomiting at all. The feeding tube is a temporary measure to give you control of what she is eating and may likely save her life. I don't know what to tell you about the color of her urine other than it is probably just the result of the bile in her system from the diseased liver.

fatty liver

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If my cat vomits 3 to 5 hours the food I force feed her would that be a very bad thing?

Does the vomiting mean she has digested the food? If so why is it being vomited?
Cats with fatty liver will often vomit due to the nausea they have from the liver disease - digested or undigested doesn't really make a difference. That is part of the limitations in force feeding a cat that is nauseous. Even with a tube in place, vomiting can be an issue, but it can usually be managed with medications, given either by injection or through the tube, not orally. The worst thing to give a nauseous cat is an oral medication.
She now poops small very hard stool and urinates outside litter box. Seems to have difficulty pooping since she tries but nothing is eliminated sometimes. When she scratches and smells the couch or floor I rush her in the litter box but she leaves. Given her condition what could it possibly mean?
Often cats that are not eating much or absorbing many calories or fluid will have small hard stools that can be difficult to pass. If she is having difficulty in the litterbox, she most likely will seek out other spots in the house because she associates the litterbox with discomfort.