Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

9 YEAR OLD CAT. HOW DO I GET MY CAT TO OBEY THE WORD NO

Customer Question
?"...
9 YEAR OLD CAT. HOW DO I GET MY CAT TO OBEY THE WORD NO ?"
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/20/2010
Cat Vet: S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org. replied 8 years ago
S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.

If you're seeing new behaviors from your cat - especially at this age - you need to suspect that there's an organic reason. It may be that this little gal has early symptoms of thyroid disease or even diabetes. It would just break your heart to find out that all your discipline was toward a kitty that was really just not well.

Never, not ever, hit, spank or throw your cat. It teaches nothing except that you are their enemy. Instinct instructs the cat to remember enemies for a long, long time. It can take months, even years of love and indulgence to make up for a single act of anger.

We use ‘remote discipline’ in the way of squirt bottles set on stream with plain water. Aim for the rump area or the feet when kitty is doing something they shouldn’t be doing.

Never spray them in the face or head area. That’s the equivalent of someone slapping you in the face whenever you do or say something they don’t like. It only teaches you that the person who did it is horrible and it sure makes you angry and resentful.

If you don’t have your water bottle handy, toss something, a book, shoe, sock, whatever’s handy - but again, not to hit the cat, just to startle it out of the action you don’t want it doing.

A simple, loud hand clap should work too with a harsh “no!” added as necessary.

They’ll learn to associate the negative result (getting wet or startled) with the action and soon enough, stop the action.

Reserve your discipline for actions that are really important to you. Trying to stop a cat from being a cat is not reasonable. Initial curiosity at something may be a passing interest, so just watch them, wait and see.

Scratching inappropriate objects can be altered by just picking them up as soon as they start and taking them to the right place (a scratching post or old chair just for them). After doing this many times, if they forget - employ the remote discipline methods.

Another way to prevent scratching is to use double sided tape on the object. You can buy this already set to use in many pet stores or make your own by using some wide packaging tape placed with the sticky side out.

Cats are very sensitive and aware creatures. Awfully smart and loving too. It’s worth a little extra effort to live with positive reinforcement and gentle discipline rather than lose them forever by acting out of frustration or anger.

*****************************************

For those areas and times that you can't be there, most pet stores carry a product called Ssscat. This is a canister that releases a blast of air (with or without a blast of sound) when a motion sensor is triggered. There are different manufacturers so shopping around is a good idea for price.

Here’s one to give you an idea http://scraminal.com

For the one called Ssscat

This is a can of compressed air with a motion sensor top that you can turn on and off - when the cat enters an area they shouldn't be in, a loud hisss with a short burst of air discourages kitty from ever trying again.

The 'trick' to this lasting forever is to have it on regularly for the first 2-3 days. After that you can turn the can off, but leave it visible. Turn it on for a day or two a week to remind the cat, just in case they forget the unpleasant noise associated with going where they shouldn't.

---- Click here for the You Tube video showing it in action ----

You might need a couple cans of it, or you can try one can in one spot for a while, then move it to another spot after a couple days.

*******************************************

As mentioned first though - she may actually be showing symptoms of disease, so please be sure to have her checked. Tell your vet specifically that you want her screened for thyroid disease and also diabetes.

Both of these are abled to treated with medications.

Good luck! You've been very patient - keep it up!