Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat (13 years old) started coughing about 2 weeks ago which…

Customer Question
My cat (13 years old)...
My cat (13 years old) started coughing about 2 weeks ago which then became difficulty breathing as those she was having nasal problems. Sounded very "flemy" She went to the vet 2 weeks ago Friday and was given Clavamox. She wasnt' getting better and stopped eating so took her back last Thursday. They took chest xrays and sent her home with another antibiotic and an anti histamine. She still was not better and not eating so took her back Saturday. He kept her and took skull xrays to check her nasal passages and did blood tests. The blood tests came back OK and nothing popped out on the xrays so he sent her home on Monday with Prednisone. She ate a little when we got home Monday early evening but I don't think she has eaten anything since. Her breathing does sound a LITTLE better but she is definitely not getting better. What are your thoughts?? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/17/2010
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi there,

What was she eating before she stopped?

Was there any congestion in her lungs?

Indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

She doesn't eat much but she was eating Friskies. We feed her in the morning and at night and she always has dry food.

They did check her lungs and they looked fine.

She is an indoor kitty.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your baby had all this trouble.

Coughing in a cat can be caused by upper respiratory infection, bronchitis, pneumonia, chylothorax, heartworm etc

The important thing is to get her eating.

Boil chicken or fish as the scent of food cooking awakens the appetite sensor in the brain.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If she wants tuna, give it to her You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If her tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If she wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure she stays hydrated.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

I did not find your answer helpful since I had tried these already. Sorry..

How is she doing?

Did she stop coughing?