Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 2yo female Exotic short hair cat has always got gunked up…

Customer Question
My 2yo female Exotic short...
My 2yo female Exotic short hair cat has always got gunked up eyes which need to be cleaned every day. I have had this breed for several years and my other two Exotics only need their eyes cleaned once a week. The cleaning does not bother me as i know it comes with the breed and also because she is white it tends to look worse than it really is but, she is going to her first show in a few months and i worry that after a few hours sitting in her cabin, when it comes her turn for inspection, her eyes will look terrible. I have heard there are some new treatments to slow down the production of tears without causing any negative effects. She is text book of the breed in every other way and has a show career ahead of her, if only i did not have to worry so much about her eyes. We imported her from eastern Europe from a fantastic breeder at the beginning of the year and took her to the vet to get a post travel check-up. He gave me Fucithalmic eye drops to be used once a day for 5 days, this helped a bit but not much.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/17/2010
Cat Vet: Lynn, Veterinary Assistant replied 8 years ago
Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant

The new treatment that I know about is called Angel Eyes. It is a supplement that you give to cats or dogs. I do know of a couple pets that this has worked for. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/

Other than that there isn't much else to try to for this frustrating problem.

If you have further questions let me know.

Good luck!
Lynn
Thank-you for your reply. I have tried this product having bought it in the states 3 months ago. It did not work at all. Maybe you mis-understood my question. I am not looking for a temporary solution via an over the counter supplement. I am a long time breeder and owner of Exotic show cats so have tried every over the counter remedy avaliable.
Angels Eyes also contains a harmful anti-biotic which is not approved for use in cats and is illegal in the UK to do so.
I'm sorry I didn't realize what you were after. I will opt out of your question in case another expert has an idea for you.

Best wishes!
Lynn
Cat Vet: Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist

While I don't have a solution for you, I do want to clear up some confusion about the angel eyes product. It is an over-the-counter product and not specifically "approved" for any species, but it was designed for both dogs and cats. The active ingredient in it HAS been approved for use in cats. In order for it to work, it has to be used long-term. The manufacturer's site explains in detail how it works and how to use it:

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/faq.htm

The active ingredient in it is tylosin tartrate. It is not dangerous, and in the USA at least, is approved for use in cats. When given orally, an overdose may produce vomiting and diarrhea. In research studies, when tylosin is given in monstrous doses by mouth, it has never caused a death, but only temporary digestive symptoms. When injected or given intravenously, an overdose can be fatal. Angle eyes is given orally, and poses no significant danger. Here's a site where you can see the studies done, including amounts given, and what happened. Tylosin should not be given to pregnant animals. It has not been tested for effects on the unborn.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v29je08.htm

I hope this clears up some confusion. I am also going to opt out of your question, in hopes another expert will have a solution.

Anna
Thank you Anna, i purchased this product while on holiday in the states and had used it for about 2 month with no results. I had mentioned to my vet about it and he was totally horrified. The active ingredient is a banned in the UK for use on any animal. A breeder who i also met in the states told me of a new medication in the form of an eye drop that was used once a day. Stupidly i forgot to get the exact details and my vet, who is one of the best in N. Ireland could only suggest an operation to re-adjust the flow. The chance of scarring is not an option for a show cat and there is a 50/50 success rate.
That's interesting. Tylosin is widely used in the United States with good results, but each country has its own standards. I don't know what the new eye drop might be. I've not heard of it. Of course, in USA pet stores, there are numerous new products all the time.

Wish we could offer more help.

Anna