Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

cat: is 13 years old and had a lump under his neck..steroids…

Customer Question
My cat is 13 years...
My cat is 13 years old and had a lump under his neck. He has been on steroids and anitibiotics but it does not seem to be helping. At his age, would it be wise to do surgery to remove it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/15/2010
Cat Vet: Lynn, Veterinary Assistant replied 8 years ago
Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Is your cat healthy otherwise?

Is he eating, drinking and acting normally?

Any underlying health problems (kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, etc.)?

Where at on his neck is the growth located?

Thanks,
Lynn

Yes, he is eating, drinking, and acts normal.

No underlying issues that I know of. I have 6 cats.....they are all indoor cats so they have always been healthy.

I took him to the vet, they said it was the salivary gland....but in reading online, which I know is is no no..but I am sooo worried about it being cancer. He is a siamese.

Its okay to read on-line as long as you use reliable sources (personal blogs are not a good source!). In my opinion, if your vet wants to remove it, I would say go ahead and have it removed. Yes, at 13 years old your cat isn't young, but he could very well have several good years yet. It sounds like he's in good shape, and so the surgery shouldn't pose an extreme risk to him. I would recommend having some routine blood tests run first if he hasn't had any done in awhile. This will check for any early problems that could make anesthesia more risky. Another good thing about having it removed is that it can be sent in to a lab to determine exactly what it is (if you want). Try not to worry about it being something really bad before we even know for sure what it is. Even if it is cancer, many types are treatable, and pets don't have the horrible reactions to chemotherapy that people do. I'm going to give you a link to a site that is full of information on cancer in cats, with lots of good links just in case you need it.

http://www.zzcat.com/

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you and best wishes.

Lynn