Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a female cat about 5 y/o and was nutured when she was…

Customer Question
We have a female cat...
We have a female cat about 5 y/o and was nutured when she was young, she was losing small spots of hair so we took her to vet and they put her on Ovaban 20mg, the side effects with her has been lethargic, eating/drinking water more and the last 5 days we have seen bright red blood in her stool at times, the last time was this morning. I stop giving her Ovaban 3 days ago but prior she had taken about 15-18 tablets in a 30 day periord. Please advise if this is normal or should I take her to the Vet.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
6/12/2010
Cat Vet: Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Ovaban has some severe side effects as you have seen. The biggest problem with this drug in cats is diabetes. If there are only small areas of hair loss, ask your vet to culture the hairs from these areas to look for ringworm fungi. That is a common reason for circular hair loss. If she is pulling out the hair and is itchy, then she may need a drug called cyclosporine (Atopica), since she had reactions to the previous medication