Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

my male cat is experiencing bleeding from the back passage.

is this anything to do...
my male cat is experiencing bleeding from the back passage. is this anything to do with kidney failure
4/5/2010
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Is he straining in the box?
Are you sure it's blood in the stool/ diarrhea or is it blood in the urine?
Is he able to urinate?
Is he in kidney failure?
there are no stools only blood. this is on a newspaper left on the floor at night.
Ok thanks,

I would get him seen to make sure he is not blocked and what you are seeing are blood clots from the penis. If this is the case, then this is a life threatening emergency and we need to unblock him right away.

If it's blood from the anus, then it's likely due to colitis (inflammation of the colon) which can be infectious or stress induced. If there is kidney disease, this is not a typical sign but it can be a stress induced sign. We treat these guys with antibiotics and you can also add canned pumpkin to the diet- 1 teaspoon 2-3 times daily to help promote normal colon motility.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian