Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Why does my kitten still hiss at me

Why does my kitten still hiss at me?

I have had Lucy, a flame point siamese mix, for a little over one month now. For the most part, she hides under my sofa and is very skittish. On rare occasions, she will emerge from hiding and crave my attention and petting. Almost all the time, however, when I come into a room, she runs and hides. If I get too close to her hiding place, she hisses and spits at me. I currently have a ComfortZone with Feliway plug-in at home and it hasn't shown to be of any use since I purchased it 4 days ago. I wanted to get a cat because I love lap cats who greet me at the door and sleep at the foot of my bed, but Lucy is starting to make me think that I will never get this kind of satisfaction from her. I spoil her rotten, though! Help! What can I do to change her evasive behavior?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

How old is Lucy?

Where did you get her from?

Any other pets?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Lucy was born on September 29, 2009, making her a little more than 4 months old. I have no other pets. I got her from a co-worker who fosters feral cats. Will she ever be lovable?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

If Lucy was a feral kitty she learned to mistrust humans from her mother.

However to a cat food is love and they CAN be bribed!

She is already starting to seek you out for love and care. Soon she will forget her old teachings and become dependant on YOU.She will see you as her new "mommy".

So please be patient....

Sit quietly and offer a piece of chicken or cold cut. Eventually she will take food from you. Then she will warm up very quickly to you.

Get a lasar pointer and feather wand and engage her in play.

Be as calm and nonchalant as you can muster. Let her come to you.

I promise she will very soon.

Please let me know if you still have questions or wish to discuss this further. I am happy to help.I will always be here for you!

May God bless you for saving a feral kitty!

Best of luck with your new baby!!

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Terri! I do bribe her with treats but she still avoids me. I stopped killing her from under the sofa because I figured that was too much for her. Do you think spaying her will help?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

Spaying will most definitely help her calm down

Sit down and let her take food from your hand.

Don''t worry. I promise she will warm up very soon,, just try to be patient.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your new *sweet* baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for pressing accept.

Best wishes,

Terri