Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is losing her hair on her back at the base of her tail

Customer Question
and around her anus. My...
My cat is losing her hair on her back at the base of her tail and around her anus. My other cat does not have any of this. I did recently change my litter brand. She does not seem to be bothered by the problem. I don't see her scratching/biting at it. She does not seem to be sick at all.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cat
12/31/2009
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 7 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello and Happy new year,

How old is she?

How long is she losing hair?

Any diarrhea?

What does she eat?

Indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

She is about 11/2 years old. Noticed the problem about 3 weeks ago. No diarrhea Dry food with treats, such as canned clams, smoked salmon and packaged cat treats. Mostly the packaged treats with occasional wet food. The clams and salmon are rare. She is mostly an indoor cat but sometimes goes in the back yard to play. One thing she does is make whining noises when she sleeps.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your girl has this trouble.

It can be related to allergies, dry skin, an irritated sebaceous gland, stress or a parasite.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Stud tail:and feline acne
http://www.kittens-lair.net/cat-health/feline-acne.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/acne.html

Ringworm:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

Miliary Dermatitis:

www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/mil-derm.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliary_dermatitis

granuloma:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_eosinophilic_granuloma.html

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Starnes/index.php

Scabies:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_notoedric_mange.html

Hot spots:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it he licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symmetrical and can be self inflicted:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=195

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Thank you for your input. Given that the problem could be one of so many things, I think it is best that I take her in to see the veterinarian.

Have a happy new year!

You can try home treatment first.

Add one quarter tsp of fish oil to her food every day:Get it from a can of tuna or sakmon or lipoderm:

http://reviews.1800petmeds.com/1800/prod2713/lipiderm-reviews/reviews.htm

If you are feeding mostly dry food add canned:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Rub a bit of plain neosporin into the hair loss spots.

Give her one quarter of a chlor-trimeton every 12 hours:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

I hope she feels better very soon.

Best wishes for her,

Terri

Hello. As I stated in my previous reply to your answer- you have given me too many possibilities as to what my cat's problem could be. So, clearly, you can not give me an answer to my question. I am taking my pet to the vet to find out what is wrong with her. Therefore, I do not accept your answer. Thank you for your time and effort anyway.

Best of luck with her,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert