Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

I noticed a growth coming out of my cats anus. Its brownish,

I noticed a growth coming out of my cat's anus. It's brownish, small, and tubular (somewhat like this posting: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1wvki-my-cat-has-an-growth-coming-out-of-skin-on-back-neck-area-that)

i thought it might be a worm and tugged on it gently with tweezers. it appears to be attached. i'm guessing it's a skin tag. she's not complaining. should i just wait till it falls off, or take her to the vet? it's been there several weeks now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Is it actually protruding from inside the anus, or is it on the side of the opening? Is it possible to take a picture and upload it to me?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi, it is on the side of the opening, i was able to examine it closer just now. if i gently pull open the skin near her anus, i can see the base of it. it's definitely attached. it looks like a little stick. there are a couple small bumps (similar, look like skin tags) near the base of it.

here are the best pictures i could get just now... it's the bump peeking out of the fur. like i said, if i try to open up the area i see it's attached.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUdf8NNgkipIZGRybnpkcDlfMGdwZzMyZ2hk&hl=en
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUdf8NNgkipIZGRybnpkcDlfMmRoODJ4cGhj&hl=en
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

I'm unable to view the pictures on the website, due to firewalls that are in place here. Can you upload them via a response to me (just use the tool bar right above where you are typing - click on the picture of the tree to get an upload window), or can you tell me if it looks anything like this?:

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it doesn't look as detailed/grotesque as that
can't get a better picture but it does appear to be part of her as opposed to something attached (i think)

graphicgraphic
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Given the location, It could actually be exudate from one of her anal glands that has hardened. You're right in that the pictures are somewhat difficult to see :) - but, if it is from her anal glands, bathing her in VERY warm water....not hot, but water that is a bit warmer than you would like to bathe in, will break it down and remove it. Cats' body temperatures are normally higher than ours, so water that is warm to you, is actually cold to her, and she will HATE it....don't be afraid to scrub the area. If it's still there after a good cleaning, I would bring it to your vet's attention at her next visit. I don't think you need to run in immediately, unless it is getting larger, or unless she is licking the area frequently. You may want to just take her in and have her anal glands expressed as that may be where this originates. Please let me know if I can help further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do the anal glands actually exit from the anus, or near the anus? the growth seems to be coming from the anus. she is not licking or dragging her butt or anything...
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
The anal glands are actually right outside of the anus..at about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock if you were viewing her directly from behind. When I enlarge your picture, it does definitely appear as though this is in the anal opening and is probably just a skin tag. If she hasn't been spayed yet, and you are planning on doing so, bring it to your vet's attention when you take her in.....if you feel nervous about it being there at all and don't want to wait, I would certainly schedule an appointment. In all likelihood, there is nothing to worry about, but any growth should be evaluated within a reasonable period of time. If it is a growth, only a biopsy will be able to determine if it is anything to worry about. This could even be fecal matter that has impacted in one of the rectal fissures. Truly, I think it's a benign problem, but I would have it checked out for your own peace of mind.