Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My 14 yrs. old neutered male cat started spraying in the house

Customer Question
(he is totally a house...
My 14 yrs. old neutered male cat started spraying in the house (he is totally a house cat)several years ago. Mostly it is the front door that gets sprayed but lately he has been doing it on the walls too. He is very attached to me and me to him. I have tried every thing that the pet stores and vets have told me about. I wonder if a cat behaviourist could help me?He is very active and follows me around constantly. My vet said to lock him in the bathroom and I know that would stress him more.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
10/19/2009
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Dear Cherry,

I am sorry your boy is having trouble. Oh I would not lock him in the bathroom. I agree with you that it will only stress him further.

You do not need a bahaviorist for cats. They are very easy to understand.Everything they do has a reason.

Cats can have a UTI with no bacteria called Interstitial Cystitis:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_interstitial_cystitis.html

Whenever a formerly clean kitty begins to soil out of box, he is usually trying to communicate some sort of pain or distress to his human "mom" or "Dad"

Cats may not seem unwell because it is their nature to hide an illness as long as possible but if the urine or stool is abnormal in any way - that will be your first clue. If his appetite is different that is an indication as well.

Your cat may have a urinary tract infection.That can become serious in males.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same anibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/cystitis.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32507/feline_cystitis_symptoms_and_its_treatments.html

Anything new is very stressful to a cat because kitty's HATE change and stress can lead to illness so you want to watch for any developing symptoms.

Give him a teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. That will keep "good" bacteria in his colon.

He can also have one drop of unsweetened cranberry juice every day to lower the PH of his stool and urine.

If this continues or gets worse he should be checked.He is not just doing this to annoy you or because he got mad as cats do not think like that - he may not feel well and is trying to let you know about it.Or he is confused..

Sometimes cats become "picky" about the condition of their box and do not want to share or use the same one for both things..Try adding an additional one and see if that helps.

Also try cat attract litter sold in pet supply stores. Clean any soiled areas with an enzyme product so he can no longer smell it.Bleach will not fool a cats nose one bit.

He may be marking in a desperate attempt to reattain his head cat status or he may just be intimidated or sick.

Spray with feliway http://www.catfaeries.com/ to fool him into thinking items are already marked. Try rescue remedy sold in pet supplies and is rubbed on the gums.

Clean with an enzyme product like zero odor or odor mute because regular detergents will not fool him either.

http://www.petcarecentral.com/nm-155.html
http://www.allivet.com/Equalizer-Carpet-Stain-and-Odor-p/26942.htm
http://www.zeroodorstore.com/
http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/simple-solution-faq.html

Here are some additional links that may help (elimination and behavior related):

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

Please let me know how he is doing. if you still have questions, I will always be here for you.

I hope he stops real soon and he feels better!

Very sincerely,

Terri

I have read your information carefully and didn't find anything helpful that I haven't already tried. Forte' is extremely attached to me and I to him. Never has a cat received more love than he has. We have another cat, Cressie, and they are good friends. He started spraying almost 8 years ago when our son adopted 2 children, ages 12 and 13. Before that we had no grandchildren. He started spraying the front door. Then some cats in the neighborhood started coming into the back yard and he ruined the carpet in the den by spraying.Lately he has started spraying the walls in various rooms.Sometimes he does it while I am looking at him. I am desperate! I couldn't possibly get rid of him but my house smells. The vet checked his urine about a month ago and he was fine. I am sure it is a territorial behavioral thing.

So would you say he is stressed by the children?

If so, there are several medications which maay help.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diazepam-valium/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/alprazolam-xanax/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/clomipramine-clomicalm/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/fluoxetine-prozac/page1.aspx

I would give them a try.

I know you love him and would never give him away... soo meds are the next best option.

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert