CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Can A indoor cat get Ringworm I just noticed a quarter sized

Can A indoor cat get Ringworm? I just noticed a quarter sized spot on his head with missing fur.. Can this be a sign of it?
Thank You for your time,
Tracy
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Ringworm in cats is rare (as compared to dogs) and certainly more rare in indoor only cats- but it is not impossible.

Self-trauma (scratching) or bacterial causes are much more likely.

To be sure, your veterinarian can take a sample of the area with the fur loss and submit this for fungal (ringworm culture).
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What kind of bacterial causes? My baby has been stressed at all as far as I can see, acting normal daily.
Hi there,

Any bacterial infection can cause this - mostly a staph intermedius in pets - which is the most common bacteria found on the skin.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this able to control. Or can a dog catch it? Thanks again for your time. Does my cat need medicine??
Hi there,

While not an emergency - I would recommend your vet takes a look at the area - if it is bacterial - no - it will not spread. In the rare case this is ringworm - that is transmissible - so it would be a good reason to have this evaluated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your time. We're going to the Vet tomorrow... You are appreciated... My babies appreciate you too. My cat Angel, my little old dog Cleo, and I.
You are very welcome - Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.