Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

royal canin urinary so formula changed in last several months…

royal canin urinary so formula...
royal canin urinary so formula changed in last several months - seems to cause more diarrhea in several cats - any ideas - we have one cats that must use it for Struvite stones and the others eat it/have problems with the new formula where they had no issues with the old (confirmed by using some of the old formula we still had - with it, no problems)
8/7/2009
NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert

It might be from just too abrupt a change in food as that can cause digestive upset all on its own, or it maybe due to the new ingredients.

You might compare the old formula to the Hills diet

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/productDetails.hjsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441760671

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/productDetails.hjsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441783041

or you might see if this formula works for you

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/productdetail.aspx?ID=90

You might want to slowly introduce the new formula by adding it little by little to the old formula. Call around local pet supply stores or vet offices to see if they have any of the old formula in stock.

Hope this helps you!

Sorry, I already had researched this much and will doubtless accept your answer so you get paid but was hoping for more. I can see in discussion groups/forums others have had issues due to the change in the Urinary SO formula but no solutions except a suggestion to no feed it to affected cats or a suggestion to dilute it with water (it is drier and being more concentrated than the old may need extra water to avoid IBD in some animals).

IBD isn't cause by lack of water its typically due to a sensitivity or allergy to a food ingredient

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_inflammatory_bowel_disease.html

when its not due to a metabolic disease.

You said you were having diarrhea issues so that typically goes with a sensitivity to an ingredient. If they increased the fiber that can cause loose stools.

If you want to up water consumption by your cats you may want to try a cat fountain

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Deluxe-Fountain-Medium-Bleached/dp/B000084F2Q

The choices are trying other formulas including another one from that company or another prescription food. Or calling the company and see if they will reissue the old formula (its worked before if enough people do it).

Purina also has a prescription diet for this

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/FelineProductDetail.aspx?prod=237

about 2/3 of the way down on this page are some home cooked diet recipes

http://www.2ndchance.info/homemadediets.htm

NancyH