Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

why does my female cat bite itself until there are open so

Customer Question
res?...
why does my female cat bite itself until there are open so res?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
7/4/2009
Cat Vet: Lynn, Veterinary Assistant replied 8 years ago
Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant

This is likely due to a compulsive disorder called psychogenic alopecia. Sometimes there is an underlying medical cause that triggers this behavior such as fleas, skin infection, hyperthyroidism, or others. Other times it is just a behavior problem that can be triggered by stress.
Here is a link to a page about this, scroll down the page to get to the section about it:

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/vet_common/pdf/petinfo/dvm/case_march2005.pdf

I recommend taking your kitty in for a check up to determine if there is a medical problem or not. If there is no medical condition this disorder can be treated with anti-anxiety medications. You will have to ask your vet about them.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answers your question please click accept. Thank you.

Lynn
Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Lynn
Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant