Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My cat seems to be licking her lips a lot lately. She has also

My cat seems to be licking her lips a lot lately. She has also vomited two or three times this week - though that might be because of summer hairballs (she has medium-length hair). She also seems to be grooming/licking herself more than usual, though I can't say that for sure. She is not lethargic and she eats ok. I also just saw her eating a little clump of her own fur that was on the floor. I called the vet and he will call me back on Monday (today's Saturday). I just want to know if this sounds like something that should be checked right away and not left to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
Since she is still acting normal otherwise I don't feel it is necessary to rush right into the vet on emergency. Do be sure you continue to monitor her appetite and make sure that her gums and tongue are pink and not white. If she is white or very pale then this would indicate anemia in which case she would need to be seen right away. I suspect the excessive licking may be caused by nausea. You can try giving her 1/4 pepcid orally to see if this helps to settle her stomach. Also, check on her bowel movements because these bouts could be related to constipation especially if she is consuming large amounts of hair.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! What exactly should I be looking for in terms of bowel movements? I just cleaned her sand box. If she doesn't poop for a day or two should I be worried? Or should I look for something else in the stool?
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
If your not seeing stool or the stools are very very small then constipation is likely. After 2 days this becomes more concerning. You might also notice her straining in the litter box or taking longer to pass a stool. It wouldn't her to give her hairball remedy for the next few days to help move the hair along and possibly relieve any constipation if present.

You can find hairball remedy at any drug and grocery store. I would give a 3 inch strip today and then follow it with a 1 inch strip for the next 2-3 days.

Theresa