Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

my orange tabby gotten sick twice from eating a mole. Is there

Customer Question
a poisonous gland in mole...
my orange tabby gotten sick twice from eating a mole. Is there a poisonous gland in mole necks to make my cat sick
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
5/25/2009
Cat Vet: Dr. Marie, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Hi there and thanks for your question!

I just have a few questions before I see if I can help:

How old is your cat?
Can you describe the symptoms - vomiting? lethargy? inappetance?

Thanks,
Dr. Marie.

Optional Information:
Age: 6; Male; Breed: american short hair cat

Already Tried:
I tried to Feed him blanched chicken and water seperatley . He's walking stiffly very high fever two nights ago and threw up. Fever is down finally drank a lot of water but no food this morning. He began feeling poorly 3 days ago beginning of the holiday weekend of course. This also happened about 3 weeks ag but not so severely. He recovered on his own. He had a full check up in March perfect health

Ah, thanks...when I posted my response I didn't have access to your Already Tried info.

There is no toxic substance that is produced by moles. But, I can give you a few ideas as to what could be happening.

If you feel he has a fever then he may have infection somewhere in his body. The most common cause for an infection is a bite or scratch from another cat. Often the wound is difficult to find. It is also possible that he was bitten by the mole before he killed it.

If this is an infection then he will need to get antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Unfortunately this is a situation where I would recommend an emergency visit. If cats go a few days without eating they are at risk for a serious liver condition. Also, if the infection goes too long without treatment he may need IV antibiotics instead of oral antibiotics which would mean he'd have to stay in the hospital.

One other thought is that some cats can have zinc toxicity if the mole they ate had ingested a zinc containing rat/mouse poison. Zinc toxicity can cause serious gastrointestinal upset and needs to be treated by a vet.

You can try encouraging him to eat by heating up some canned cat food, or offering some baby food with no onions or garlic. You can also try syringing some unsweetened pedialyte into him. However, it does sound like he should see a vet today.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian