Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is been trying to use the bathroom for a couple of

Customer Question
hi my cat is been...
hi my cat is been trying to use the bathroom for a couple of hours and has not been able too what should i do for him tonight until the vet office opens
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
3/12/2009
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Is your cat having trouble urinating or defecating or both?

When was the last time you saw him urinate or defecate?

Is he interested in food and water? Have you seen him drink, recently?

Thanks,
Cher
right now both the last time was earlier today urinating, he is eating a little and drinking water
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

My main concern is that he has a urethral obstruction, and that's why he's visiting the litterbox so often. Sometimes, seeming to strain to defecate, is really straining to urinate, and crystals--tiny sandlike particles which occur in urine that is not acidic enough--clump together and cause a blockage. I just went through this with my own cat, last week. If you just noticed these symptoms, it can be caught in time, and he can be catheterized if he is blocked, and the urine can be drained out of his bladder, so you need to bring him to the nearest ER vet center for evaluation and treatment.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/urethral.html

If he's constipated (hopefully, that's all), he will be given the most appropriate treatment, to help him move his bowels. Continue giving him the hairball remedy, and also, increase the fiber in his food by adding 1/4 tsp. of Metamucil to his canned food every day. Also adding 1 tsp. plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) daily, to a small amount of canned food, will help with the natural fiber it provides. He might need dietary changes if he's blocked and/or constipated, but your vet can discuss these options with you after diagnosis.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/constipation.html

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
thank you cher for your help.... we will visit the vet in the morning.
You're most welcome!

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist