Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cats eye looks like it is crying What can cause this

My cats eye looks like...
My cats eye looks like it is crying? What can cause this?
2/11/2009
Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian

HelloCustomer

This is Dr. Christian. Some more information will help me help you.

Is it in only one eye?

Is your cat squinting or rubbing at the eye?

Any sneezing or nasal discharge?

It is only in one eye. She has randomly licking her paw and running over the eye but not in an excessive ammount. I have not noticed sneezing or nasal discharge. She is squinting

Does the white of the eye look red?

a little

There are a few possibilities.

1. Infection- This can be due to a virus or bacteria. The redness and squinting fits this possibility but usually the drainage is not clear but more like pus.
  2. Scratch or injury to the cornea- This might be the biggest possibility due to the squinting and redness. The drainage will many times be clear. You may not be able to actually see the scratch if it shallow or small enough. You veterinarian can do a stain of the cornea to look for this.
  3. Debris or something else under the eyelid- This of course would be very irritating. You can use saline to flush the eye out gently. However, any debris could also cause a scratch of the cornea.
  4. There are some very unlikely eye diseases that could also cause the problem in a cat that age such as glaucoma.

It think the most likely possibility in this case is either a scratch or debris so I would recommend having her checked by your vet. If there is a scratch then pain meds and antibiotic ointments can be given to help it heal. You can continue to clean the eye and flush it with the saline. If you have more questions or concerns please let me know.

Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian

Will be harmful to her if I wait until tomorrow to take her tothe Vet?

No I think it should be okay. If the squinting gets really painful then take her tonight but otherwise it should be fine.
Christian K.
Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian