Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is passing drops of blood from his rectum. He keeps

Customer Question
My cat is passing drops...
My cat is passing drops of blood from his rectum. He keeps going to the litter box and straining and all that he can pass are a few drops of blood...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2009
Cat Vet: Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your cat with this question but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did this start?

When did he last URINATE?

When did he last defecate?

Fiona

It must have started yesterday. I thought he had vomited something reddish on the bed. But this morning he was restless and not purring. I turned on the light and he was straning to defacate on the bed and I saw about 3 drops of blood pass. I don't know when he last urinated...his litter box seems normal.
In about 999 cases out of 1000 with the symptoms you are describing, the cat is actually straining to urinate.

Could that reddish liquid on the bed yesterday have been urine with blood in it?
I feed him a soft food mixed with water...don't know if that info is of any help. I've had cats with urinary infections....but I actually saw the blood pass from his rectum.
Any vomiting?

Any diarrhea?

In the last weeks, have his stools been harder than normal?
He vomited some clear liquid about 2 hours ago. I'm not exactly sure about the hardness of his stools, he share a litter box and it is not something I've noticed. I'm going to look now and see if I can tell.

He has been in the litter box about every 10 minutes for the last 2 hours.

Wow!

Any luck on finding out if the stools have been unusually hard or dry recently?

Has he lost any weight in the last few months?

Has he been drinking more than usual?

Fiona
They do seem a bite dry and hard. His weight has been fairly stable and his drinking seems normal. I just had him at the vet on Friday for a cardiac ultrasound. She did a full workup on him and there was blood in his urine. She was going to culture it. But now that I've seen blood actually pass from his rectum, I'm wondering it if was blood from there.
The thing that is so scary about this is the blood is bright red. It literally looked like he was passing blood. His kidney functions were excellent, which surprised my vet because of his age. His heart has always seemed to be his only problem...albeit a BIG one!
Could it be some kind of colitis?
Hello?
Hmmm...

Sorry for the delay (my kids woke up and I needed to get them milk and cereal).

When the vet saw blood in the urine, was that when he or she took a sample?

Please lift his lip and check the colour of his gums - are they bubble gum pink or lighter?
With colitis, there can indeed be blood in the feces, but usually there are mucoid stools as well.

I'm a bit concerned about the blood in urine AND feces...

Is he on any medications?

Fiona
I totally understand...have 3 of my own and dad just left for a week today! His gums seem lighter. She took the urine sample as part of his workup.
He is on lasix.
Ah...ok, that's helpful!

Is he on aspirin or coumadin to deal with clots due to his cardiomyopathy?
No...she did several tests and was going to make that decision tomorrow. She was waiting for some other test results that had to be sent out.
Ok...

I need a few minutes to work on your answer and will be back as soon as possible. I wish there were a quick fix for this, but I am worried about your boy! I'm sure the last thing you need right now is a sick cat, since your partner just left and you have 3 kids to cope with...

be back soon....

Fiona
That is why women have children...men could not handle more than one crisis at a time!
LOL about men and crisis! ;-)

You have described to me an 11 year old male cat, Sam, who has been diagnosed recently with cardiomyopathy and who is on lasix. He has pale gums. Recent blood and urine tests showed that his kidneys are working well, but that he has hematuria (blood in the urine). He is now visiting the litter box repeatedly and passing blood from his rectum.

I am very worried about Sam. There are a number of things that could be going on with him. If he were on his way in to see me I would be checking the following:

1. Bladder

Given that he had blood in his urine yesterday, it is possible that a clot could have entered the urethra and is now blocking it. This would make it impossible for him to urinate. Suddenly, you can have a cat who can only pee tiny amounts or not at all. Without immediate treatment, this can be fatal in within 24 hours!

If the cat is unable to urinate, then the toxins the kidneys are meant to be clearing can build up in the blood stream. These make the cat feel nauseated, and can make him vomit, lose his appetite and become very lethargic as they build up.

If Sam came in to see me at my clinic, I would check his bladder to see if it was hard and painful, or not. I would make sure he could urinate (by passing a catheter if he was obstructed) and take a sample of the urine to determine whether there was evidence of infection, blood or even crystals.

2. Constipation

It is possible that Sam is very constipated and unable to pass a large, dry stool that is trapped in his rectum. This can happen for a number of reasons (dehydration, "holding it" because he was in at the clinic and didn't want to use their litter boxes, changes in food, etc). If there is a large hard stool in his rectum it can cause tiny blood vessels to rupture as he strains.

In these cases, many cats need some fluids given under the skin to help to rehydrate them, and even a little cat enema (NOT a human one as they are toxic to cats!) to soften the stool.

Constipation is relatively easy to diagnose. When I palpate a cat's belly, I can feel the stool in the colon and determine if it is normal in size and consistency. Also, a rectal exam can allow me to find any stool trapped in the rectum, and to remove it.

3. The bleeding.

I really worry about the blood in urine, blood in stool AND pale gums. It suggests that there might be quite a lot of blood loss! You have described this as looking like frank blood. As you can imagine, cats are small enough that they don't have to lose much blood to become anemic. Cats can have bleeding disorders from drug therapy (aspirin and coumadin would do this - but I know he is not on them) or from eating a mouse that ate rat poison, or due to underlying health issues where the platelets are being destroyed (and platelets are needed to clot blood).

Overall, there are a number of things that are quite concerning. I think your boy is trying to tell you that he has abdominal discomfort. This could be due to constipation, urinary obstruction, or another problem like pancreatitis or cholangiohepatitis, or gastroenteritis.

You need to get him to a veterinarian promptly - today! I truly don't think this is going to get better on its own!

If this has been helpful, please Accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Please let me know how SAm does!
Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian