Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

can mentholatum on my cats nose poison my cat if she liked

Customer Question
her nose. It was a...
can mentholatum on my cats nose poison my cat if she liked her nose. It was a very, very small amount.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
1/7/2009
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I have had a look at the ingredients of mentholatum which are Camphor (4.7%), Eucalyptus Oil (1.2%), Menthol, Natural (2.6%).

I think if wiped you wiped it of at once, and there was only a tiny amount then this would very unlikely to affect your cat in any way.

However after this type of incident it would be wise to keep an eye on your cat and contact your vet if you see any strange symptoms, but as I said I think this would be very unlikely.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
I have one more question. My cat seems to have a bit of difficulty breathing when she sleeps. I purchased a very extensive pet insurance earlier this evening; however, it does not kick in for illnesses until after 30 days. She eats plenty, drinks, and has a very playful personality. She is a medium hair cat. It hasn't gotten so bad that she breathes thru her mouth. I've read on the internet that vets typcially do x-rays, and I'm not sure how much they run. I adopted her, and she did see a vet prior. I plan to call them to have them send the insurance her records; however, should I take her to get a physical at the vet and will this help. I really want to have full coverage insurance, if she should have asthma, etc. I just want to make the right decision - suggestions.
Hello again.

1. As your cat is eating and is playful it does not sound too serious, it might be an idea to let the cat settle in for a while and then have the vet check your cat over say after 35 days. Of course if it gets worse in the meantime you should seek advice sooner.

2. Some insurance policies will not cover pre-existing conditions which were present at the time the policy was taken out so if you send the old case notes to the insurance company and it contains details of previous respiratory disease you might not have cover. Not that I would encourage any dishonesty but you should be aware of this point.

3.I am not based in the USA so it difficult for me to say how much an x-ray session would run to, from what I have read a simple procedure with one plate could start from around $ 200.00 perhaps.

Regards,

Scott