Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

how do you fix a cats broken leg/foot, when you dont have

Customer Question
how do you fix a...
how do you fix a cats broken leg/foot, when you don't have $500.00 for the vet bill
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
12/10/2008
Cat Vet: NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert replied 9 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert

This is something that does need vet care though some cats will heal on their own its not an easy process and the leg may never work right.

I'm surprised the vet did not splint the leg to keep it from dangling.

Some vets will let you pay on a payment plan and you can ask your vet about that.

You might ask if amputating the leg would be less costly or less painful for the cat.

As cash flow is an issue here are some groups that might help you afford the vet bills:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
http://www.angels4animals.org/
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
http://www.carecredit.com/
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget." They have a zero interest program if you pay within a certain time frame and they list the vets who work with their product.

God's Creatures Ministry
http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

Help-A-Pet
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html http://www.help-a-pet.org/
"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

IMOM
http://www.imom.org/
"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

United Animal Nations
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
"The m ission of LifeLine is to help homeless or recently rescued
animals suffering from life-threatening conditions that require
specific and immediate emergency veterinary care. We strive to serve
Good Samaritans and rescue groups who take in sick or injured
animals. In certain cases, LifeLine can also assist senior citizens
and low-income families pay for immediate emergency veterinary care." They also keep a list of local and national help resources here
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance (FVEAP)
http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/
"Seniors, People with disabilities, People who
have lost their job, Good Samaritans who rescue a cat or kitten - any of these folks may need financial assistance to save a beloved companion."

The Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Prog ram is a nonprofit 501
(c)(3) organization that provides financial assistance to cat and
kitten guardians who are unable to afford veterinary services to save
their companions when life-threatening illness or injury strikes.

NancyH
I'm not sure if your expecting more money, since part of the problem is financial. What position do you splint the leg/foot if it seems like the rear knee joint

I'm more than happy to answer a follow up and thank you for the above accept. We never 'require' payment though its nice when it happens so no concerns there as you already accepted.

Home splinting may not be a good idea as you might shift bones and cause more damage internal to the leg and unless you really know what you are doing you might accidentally cut off circulation or do other harm.

As this is a knee area this may be a torn cruciate ligament. Info on that here

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/cru-ligament.html

http://www.southpaws.com/topics/cruciate.htm

You can read 4 pages of info on rear leg break care here

http://www.petplace.com/cats/fracture-of-the-tibia-and-fibula-in-cats/page1.aspx

If your vet confirmed it was a break then your best option if you can only do home care is to keep the cat very quiet and see if it can possibly heal on its own.

Do check into the groups above though and see if you can get some help.

If you can't then check www.petfinder.com for cat rescue groups in your area - such a group might have someone who would take the cat and do the surgery though it would mean you would lose the cat.

NancyH
NancyH