Amanda, DVM
Amanda, DVM, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship-Trained, 5 years practice experience, experience in animal shelters and free clinics
14050936

my cat has one eye that is lookinh like a triangle in the pupil

my cat has one eye that is lookinh like a triangle in the pupil area and the other is pupil is large
Category: Cat
Expert:  Amanda, DVM replied 8 years ago.
Cats can develop tumors in the iris (the colored part of the eye) that can change the shape of the pupil. It is also possible to develop cysts on the iris that are benign. Other causes to a change in the pupil can include injuries that create scar tissue, degeneration of the iris with age and severe inflammation within the eye (uveitis).
In some cases, brain diseases or head trauma, or something simple like corneal ulcers can cause one pupil to be abnormally small. This should not change the shape, only the size.
I can't really give you a diagnosis without seeing the eye, so a vet exam is definitely recommended. You should consider it urgent if it is bothering her. Signs of eye pain include: squinting, excess tears, avoiding light.
I hope that helps get your kitty back to her old self!
Amanda, DVM