Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

kitten: bit off and swallowed the tip of a nipple of nursing bottle

My 5 week old kitten bit off and swallowed the tip of a nipple of nursing bottle. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

I don't blame you for being concerned. Because your kitten is so small, he might have trouble passing these two nipple tips, so please watch for these symptoms: lack of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, difficulty defecating.

A twice-daily dose of hairball remedy like Laxatone might help this material pass through his system, but due to his young age, if he begins to exhibit any symptoms of illness at all, I recommend bringing him to a vet, immediately.

I hope your little guy will be fine, and maybe it's time to either syringe feed him his formula, or teach him to lap from a shallow bowl or saucer. At 5 weeks old, he should be started on canned kitten food mixed with a little formula, on a flat plate or saucer (like for a teacup) and shouldn't require bottle feeding any longer. If he learns to lap the formula, you can continue it for a couple of more weeks, and then he should just be eating a quality canned (and/or) dry kitten food like Wellness. Innova, Felidae, Newman's Own, Natural Balance, or Halo.

Cher