Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Can I give Benadryl to my cat if so how much

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
10/12/2008
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 9 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi there,

What is wrong with her?

What symptoms are you seeing?

Thanks,

Terri

She is coughing and is congested

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

She most likely has an URI:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_asthma.html

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat or immunity weakens it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours if she is congested. This is much safer than benedryl for her.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from http://www.revivalanimal.com/

If she develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert