Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cats tongue is protruding out of her mouth about 1/2 inch

Customer Question
My cat's tongue is protruding...
My cat's tongue is protruding out of her mouth about 1/2 inch all the time - when she eats there are long strands of mucus that hang from her mouth. She drops clumps of food all around her food dish. She eats okay and goes to the bathroom fine, but is not really grooming herself. This started about one week ago.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
9/8/2008
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 9 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi there,

I switched you to the cats category.

How old is she?

Any sneezing?

What is her food?

Thanks,

Terri

she is around 16 yrs old, no sneezing, she is eating only canned food. This started about a week ago. Her face looks drawn - when this started her eyes were weepy - but the horrible thing is that when she eats there are long strands of mucus that hang from her mouth - I wipe her face off with a damp paper towell after she eats.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your girl is not feeling well. This is most likely caused by an abscessed tooth or oral sores.

She must see a vet ASAP for an antibiotic or she will very soon stop eating due to pain.

The drawn face may indicate dehydration which is also very dangerous. See if she will drink tuna water or milk. Feed only canned food with water added.

She may also have had a stroke or upper respiratory infection. In any event she needs to be seen today.

She should also be checked for:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/uroliths.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/fusfaqs.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/urethral.html

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyperthyroidism.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diabetes.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

Please let me know how she is doing. I hope all will be well.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert