Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

How can you tell if a cat has been hit by a car

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
9/6/2008
Cat Vet: AthenaRVT, RVT, licensed in the state of Ca replied 9 years ago
AthenaRVT
AthenaRVT, RVT, licensed in the state of Ca
Can you look at the nails and tell me if they look normal?

they look fine to me, when my daughter made a fuss of him at his back end he hissed and cried at her, which is unlike him, he also seems to have trouble putting his back end down. Caroline

How long has this been going on?

Do you notice any open wounds or any abnormal lumps on his hind quaters?
We went out about 5pm today and he seemed fine, we came home around 9pm and he was like it. when we come in he usually greets us, he didn't this evening, he seemed to be frightened and no I can see any open wounds or abnormal lumps. Caroline
What was your daughter doing to him when it caused pain?

Do you think it is his legs or spine?

Normally if a cat gets hit by a car their nails get shredded from trying to grab onto the cement...but not 100% of the time.
she was only stroking him
Was she stroking his spinal area, leg area, hip area..etc?

she was running her hand down his back, he usually likes it, he turned nasty when her hand reached the bottom of his back. Caroline

Is he having any problems walking or standing?
he's asleep now, I didn't think he was walking funny but my daughter did, she said it looked like he was on his tiptoes, standing seems fine. Caroline
If your daughter thinks he is walking strangely and he is in so much pain he probably needs to see a vet as soon as possible. He is in obvious pain. I think he did have some kind of trauma to his spine or pelvis. And since he is reacting to your daughter just petting him I think whatever happened was quite painful. If there is a ER by you I would take him in. If not I would confine him to a cat carrier or small room tonight until you can get him to the hospital in the morning. He could have a fracture in this pelvis or spine or even damaged a vertebra in the spine.