We have a hairless cat and one with hair. They seem to throw up daily. They are in good health. I heard where slippery

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a hairless cat and one with hair. They seem to throw up daily. They are in good health. I heard where slippery elm was good for digestive problems in dogs. What about cats?
Answered by Cheryl in 36 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
Cheryl
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, and thanks for your question, with many helpful details.

If the expensive food from the vet is Science Diet, expensive yes, good for the kitties, not so much. Read the ingredients, and you'll see that it contains corn, gluten, meat by products and artificial additives/preservatives. This may be part of the problem, as these types of ingredients are allergens for cats.

Vomiting in cats can be caused by a variety of factors and allergies, hairballs and eating too quickly are all on top of the list. Acid reflux may also be a factor, so ask the vet if you can give them each 1/4 tablet Pepcid AC daily, or a few times a week, and see if this makes a positive difference.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/vomiting.html
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Your Cornish Rex, who eats too quickly, I can help with instructions to slow her down. Raising up your cats' food/water dishes to chest level, should help, as this aids digestion. Place a new, unused ping-pong or golf ball in the middle of the bowl of dry food, to make her eat 'around' it. For canned food, serve on a flat plate, mashed down with a fork, so it's not 'mounded up' in the middle.

Products containing Slippery Elm may also be given to cats for digestive problems, and you can see more about such products, here:

http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/Conditions/digestive.htm

I'm not advocating the use of any of these products, because I've never used them, but just including this for your information.

Giving a teaspoon of plain, unflavored yogurt daily, mixed into a small amount of canned food, will provide the 'probiotic' or 'good' bacteria, you'll read about in the site above. Most vets are not thrilled with 'holistic' products, unless they're holistic vets, but keep in mind that just because it's 'holistic' or 'herbal', doesn't always mean it's safe for your cat, and you should always check with your vet first, before giving any new or over the counter medication or product.

I hope you see an improvement, soon!

Cher
Customer

Thank you for the insight. I've been mixing dry with wet since we discovered the fast eating of the cornish rex created gas. Her bowl is elevated somewhat. By mixing dry with her wet food, she did slow down a bit. She's such a hog and will push the dumpster kitty from her dish which is a lower dish and hog hers. The dumpster kitty has pancreatitis. So I was told by the vet to limit her fat content. I like the idea of pepcid ac in the mix of food.

Hello again, and you're most welcome.

Yes, with pancreatitis, you have to feed a low fat diet, so she can't eat just anything; however, most of the quality foods are not high in fat.

I want to make sure you understood correctly; I recommended the plain, uflavored yogurt to be mixed into a small amount of the food, but the Pepcid AC will be given as a tablet, unless this is difficult, in which case 1/4 tablet should be small enough to 'hide' in a glob of canned food, which you can give from your finger or palm, but the Pepcid is not made to be chewed, just swallowed. Also, only get the regular strength Pepcid AC.

If your hairless cat is a hog and eats really quickly, then tries to eat her 'sister's' food in addition, try to feed them in different locations, so she can't get to the other cat's food. Also, if you're mixing wet with dry, I'm assuming they have a feeding 'schedule', because you can't leave canned food down for a long period of time, or else it spoils. If a cat doesn't eat for a while, this will increase the acid in the stomach, she'll eat quickly, become nauseous, then vomit immediately, as you're describing. If they don't have dry food down at all times to nibble on, try adding that, but control the portions.

Cher
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Cheryl
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Cheryl
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.