Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

3 hours ago my cat gave birth to 3 undeveloped fetus. It ...

Customer Question

3 hours ago my cat gave birth to 3 undeveloped fetus. It has been about now 3 hours ago. Her belly is still hard and i could feel movemnent in her belly. does this mean she might have more kittens?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear Lucienne,

I am so sorry your cat had preemies that did not survive. However, it is very possible for her to have normal babies.

Cats have two uterine horns so mommy can have kittens in each.The nursing by a live baby should bring on further contractions so you want to encourage that. Also allow her to eat the afterbirth as that brings on contractions as well

It can actually take 30 hours or more for a cat to complete a four kitten(average) delivery. When she is done she will want to eat as they feel starved. She CAN have more up to 30 hours later.

A cats appetite is the best barometer of her health because if they are sick or in pain, they will not eat.

A baby happy and nursing indicates she is producing good milk.

I would not worry unless she appears upset,has pale gums, seems in pain, has an odorous discharge or another several hours goes by with obvious labor and no production of babies. Otherwise she should be fine.

Sometimes cats can develop uterine infection, the symptoms are:

pain, fever, odorous discharge, in appetite and pale gums.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1366&articleid=919

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/breeding.html

As long as you do not see any of those symptoms she is ok

Please let me know how everyone is doing .I will always be here for you.

Best of luck with your blessed event. I hope she has some heathy babies!!

Warmest wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Reani replied 9 years ago.

Hi There!

I agree with everything that Terri says. Additionally, it is also possible for a female to mate a few times while in heat, so it is possible that there are kittens concieved a day or two apart, which would mean they are born a day apart. Keep a good eye on her for any symptoms that Terri mentioned, and if you see any of them, you should call your vet.

Best of luck to you and your kittymom!

Best Regards,

Reani