Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat stopped eating 4 days ago, is very weak and not ...

Customer Question

My cat stopped eating 5 days ago, is very weak and not himself. He is 12 1/2 years old. Heart, Liver, Kidneys, Thyroid, etc are all good and in normal range. They did an xray and the whole cavity is filled with fluid. They were unable to see the intestines because of the fluid. The fluid is a brownish color. They are pretty sure it is cancer. I asked if it could be anything else and everything they mentioned was serious to fatal. Is there a bacterial infection or any other possible less serious illness that would cause these symptoms or do you think the vet probably has it right. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your cat is so ill.

Unfortunately most of the disorders with this symptom are quite serious.

The worst being FIP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_infectious_peritonitis

However,there are bacterial infections and injuries that can cause this and be treatable.

The best ways to proceed:

drain the fluid

script lasix or other diuretic

antibiotics like clavamox or clindamycin

test for coronavirus

Once the fluid is drained your baby may feel more like eating. If he does, I recommend something very mild like baby food.

I think your vet may have already done some testing and is on the right track. However, a second opinion via a feline only vet is always an excellent option.

Please let me know how your baby is doing I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

Thanks for your accept.

One of my colleagues wants your vet to check for: Chylothorax

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/chylothorax.html

Sending as an info request so you are not charged again.

Best wishes and prayers,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your replies. I had a cat die of chylothorax 5 years ago. The same vet diagnosed it. So I am sure they would have looked for that. I actually had him euthanized today. Everything that could have been wrong with him seemed serious and fatal. He wasn't eating and was hiding all day. I know he feels better now. I will miss my buddy. He was on my lap everytime I sat down and slept with me every night. He had a good life.
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

You made the right decision because you loved him and you did not want him to suffer.

some day you will see him again:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

My sincerest sympathy,

Terri