Cat

my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a male cat that is about a year ...

Customer Question
my name is XXXXX XXXXX...
my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a male cat that is about a year old and the past couple of days he has been acting funny. He has a big loss of appatite and is drooling from the mouth and it smells really bad. He has been sleeping alote to. More then normal.i looked in his mouth earlier and his toung all most seemed swoll. he all so cant meow very... Read full answer
my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a male cat that is about a year old and the past couple of days he has been acting funny. He has a big loss of appatite and is drooling from the mouth and it smells really bad. He has been sleeping alote to. More then normal.i looked in his mouth earlier and his toung all most seemed swoll. he all so cant meow very well. What can we do to help our family pet?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Cat
4/9/2008
Cat Vet: ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse replied 11 years ago
ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse

Hi Angela,

I am sorry your kitty isn't feeling well. I am very worried about him and would like you to take him to the vet ASAP. He cannot wait until tomorrow to see his regular vet, he needs to go to the emergency clinic NOW, tonight. I am concerned he may have ingested something toxic or caustic, or chewed on some electrical cords and electrocuted himself. He is in obvious pain, and cannot eat if his tongue hurts and is so swollen.

Now the really bad news.....since your kitty has been ill for several days, he is very close to experiencing liver failure, if it has not already started. Without adequate nutritional support, the liver will shut down. By delaying treatment, you have allowed your kitty to become more dehydrated, more decompensated, and more painful. As a result, it is going to cost you alot more money to make him well again, if that is even possible. At this point, your kitty will most likely require hospitalization, i.v. fluids, antibiotics and pain medicines and maybe a feeding tube so that he can get the nutrition he needs while his mouth heals. At this point blood and plasma transfusions may also be needed.

If initial treatment was delayed due to finances, it is still necessary to take this little guy to the vet. If treatment cannot be provided, then euthanasia should be considered. It is unfair to allow this little guy to be in pain any longer, and to allow him to linger and suffer until he dies of starvation or liver failure is not an option. There is a zero interest credit card that you can apply for and use towards vet expenses. See the following website to apply.

www.carecredit.com

Please, please get this kitty to the vet soon so that his pain and discomfort can be managed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your little man.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Hi there, I have a 13 year old male cat. His name is Tiggy,
Hi there, I have a 13 year old male cat. His name is XXXXX XXXXX is my guardian angel. I am very worried about him. In the last few days,he's seemed very slow,disoriented,he has had a loss of appetite… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
My cat has a lot of yellowish bloody discharge from her mouth.
My cat has a lot of yellowish bloody discharge from her mouth. Her eyes have a black crusty stuff around it and her fur smells, plus a lot of matted fur from her mouth. When she eats it is hurting her… read more
Candy R.
Candy R.
Veterinary Technician,
Hi. My cat has lost a lot of weight recently and is now quite
Hi. My cat has lost a lot of weight recently and is now quite skinny. He has no problem with his appetite and eats plenty of food. He has been treated for worms and fleas and appears to be happy fit a… read more
Terri
Terri
Feline Healthcare Expert,
Private
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 10yr old male tabby. He is an indoor only cat. Recently
I have a 10yr old male tabby. He is an indoor only cat. Recently he started waking up at 4am and continues to talk & meow for 3 hours. He is peaceful,playful the rest of the day. All regular rountines… read more
Dr Pete
Dr Pete
Our cat Rufus (male, almost 3 years old) has started to drool
Our cat Rufus (male, almost 3 years old) has started to drool in the past day. It seems to only happen when he is getting ready to sleep or is sleeping. His food habits have not changed. He does seem … read more
Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian
My 4 year old Maine Coon started excessive drooling a couple
My 4 year old Maine Coon started excessive drooling a couple of days ago. By Sunday morning he left a large pool where he had been sleeping all night. All day Sunday there were streams of drool runnin… read more
Micki
Micki
Expert in cat behavior and health,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My cat has horrible breath that actually smells like something
My cat has horrible breath that actually smells like something has died in her mouth. She has lost weight and her coat is very dull and greasy feeling. She still seems to be eating and drinking o.k. b… read more
Micki
Micki
Expert in cat behavior and health,
We have a six year old male cat that has been drooling constantly
We have a six year old male cat that has been drooling constantly for the last few hours. He does seem somewhat lethargic and he just stood over his water bowl a little while ago but did not take a dr… read more
Micki
Micki
Expert in cat behavior and health,
mouth ( like bad feet ) drooling Could this be some kind
Most teeth have been removed, only the 4 big teeth remain. Smell from the mouth ( like bad feet ) drooling Could this be some kind of fungus infection Regards Danny Burns… read more
AthenaRVT
AthenaRVT
RVT,
cat: hs a stiff lower jw she is moving bout and is meowing..drooling
my elderly cat hs a stiff lower jw she is moving bout and is meowing still, she wants to eat but cant, she is drooling alot… read more
jazzir
jazzir
cat: discovered that he seems to be drooling...sleeps
I have a male 2 1/2 yr indoor cat. I just discovered that he seems to be drooling. I noticed it when he sleeps and I can see it draining. Its clear. He hasnt sneezed or vomitted. He has eaten fine so … read more
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Freelance Writer and Editor, Animal Resc,
cats: Salmon (..throw..in the past two days, they would meow
hi! I have two cats who've always been quite weird in what they will eat and what they wont. Sometimes they'll eat the Salmon (or any other food) other times they just wont come near it and I'd have t… read more
Terri
Terri
Feline Healthcare Expert,
Private
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 4 year old male. Today I noticed that his mouth is ...
I have a 4 year old male. Today I noticed that his mouth is open alittle and his tounge is sticking out of his mouth. I looked and it appears that he may be getting new teeth on the bottom between the… read more
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
My kitty is 17 years old. He has a marble size growth ...
My kitty is 17 years old. He has a marble size growth under his tonque. He drools alot and it smells bad. He also has a black discharge coming from both his mouth and ears. He still has a good appetit… read more
Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM
Retired,
cat: is sneezing and drooling alot..his litter box..peeing
My 5 year old male cat is sneezing and drooling alot. Could he have a cold like us or is it possibly something else. He also sporadically uses his litter box and has been peeing all over my living roo… read more
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Small Animal Veterinarian,
13 yr old male (neutered)..hiding and just sleeping. He..whining
I have a 13 yr old male (neutered) who in the last month or so has lost alot of weight. The last week or so he has been hiding and just sleeping. He does eat when I bring him his food, but he doesnt c… read more
Cher
Cher
Feline Specialist,
Masters Degree
cat: playful..eats but very little drinks water..just lays..sleeping
I have a male cat about 11 mths.old he was a very playful cat until about a week ago. He still eats but very little drinks water a goes to restroom twice daily. He is lossing wait and just lays around… read more
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
cat: only one year and is wet at the mouth and nose..sleeps alot more
i have a cat that is only one year and is wet at the mouth and nose not only that he is starting to stink he also sleeps alot more than usuall what does he have… read more
Tammy F.
Tammy F.