Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

my adult cat has been making a gurgling sound, with a hard ...

Customer Question
my adult cat has been...
my adult cat has been making a gurgling sound, with a hard swallow, when he begins to purr, which is every time he is petted, which is often as he is very affectionate. he also snores when he is sleeping...should i be concerned about these things?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2008
Cat Vet: Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health replied 9 years ago
Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health

Hello, Friend

Any problems meowing?

Dos he sound congested when resting?

Any nasal discharge or coughing?

no problems meowing...but he does breathe loudly when sleeping....almost like he's wheezing or snoring

Thank you for the extra information.

It is definitely worth having checked out by your vet.

It could be something as simple as a respiratory infection or sinus infection. It could also be from polyps in the nose, throat or ears as well. If he is over weight, that too can contribute to the problem.

Keep a vaporizer in his common sleeping areas if possible. Also using the steam from your shower can help break up and mucus congestion in his head or chest. Just put him the bathroom for 15-20 minutes at a time to breath in the steam.

But do get him checked out to be safe.

Sincerely, Micki

Micki
Micki