Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

my cats ears stink and look dirty inside. what can be ...

Customer Question
my cats ears stink and...
my cats ears stink and look dirty inside. what can be done about it? he is alittle over one year old with all shots and nuetered.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Cat
12/15/2007
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 10 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi Warren,

do you see a substance like coffee grounds in his ears?

is he indoor?

does he paw at his ears or shake his head?

Thanks,

Terri

Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I would say yes to the coffee grounds but not many.
He goes out, and paws at his ears and shakes his head occasionally.

Dear Warren,

That is due to ear mites which are quite common in cats. Instead or using Tresiderm which many cats are allergic to, apply Revolution once a month. That will kill fleas, ticks, some worms and ear mites and even afford some heartworm protection.

Because of the odor, he may now have an ear infection in which case he would need antibiotics.

I printed this for you:

" Ear infections are very common in dogs, although less so in cats. Two types are most often seen: otitis externa, infection of the external ear canal, and otitis media, infection of the middle ear. Although any dog or cat can get an ear infection, some breeds appear to be more prone than others. Dogs with pendulous ears, like Cocker Spaniels and Basset Hounds, or dogs with hairy inner ear flaps, like Miniature Poodles and Schnauzers, tend to have a higher occurrence of ear infections. In cats, the Persian breed seems to be more prone to such infections.

Most ear infections are easily and successfully treated. But if left untreated, they could result in serious damage.

Causes
Bacteria or yeast are most often the culprits of otitis externa. Other causes include an accumulation of wax, thick or matted hair in the ear canal, debris, a foreign body, a tumor or impaired drainage of the ear. Sometimes, infections of the external ear canal are a secondary result of some other bodily infection or ear mite infestation.

Otitis media usually results from the spread of infection from the external ear canal to the middle ear. Also, foreign bodies, debris, ulceration or improper ear cleaning can rupture the eardrum and allow infection to reach the middle ear"

Here is the rest of the link:
http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=27 .

Use white vinegar and water 50/50 mixture to dab on and in the ear to help with pain and itching.

Here is a list of natural solutions that I printed for you from a link:

Natural solutions

Clean the ears with vinegar. If your pet's ears are filled with brownish-pink wax, there is a good chance that allergies have caused a yeast infection. To clear up yeast infections, clean the ears thoroughly.

Veterinarians often recommend using white vinegar (also called acetic acid), because it removes dirt and debris and helps restore a healthy chemical balance in the ears. Diluted vinegar works well. When using vinegar, pour a small amount into the ear canal, massage the area, then gently wipe the inside of the ear with a cotton ball. Do this once a day until the ear is better.

Stop infections with pau d'arco. The herb pau d'arco, which comes from the inner bark of a South American tree, is a natural antibiotic that quickly kills fungi and bacteria. At the first sign of infection, mix equal parts pau d'arco tincture and mineral oil and put several drops in your pet's ears. Give the drops two or three times a day for several days.

Reduce inflammation with vitamin C. The adrenal glands produce a natural steroid that can help reduce inflammation when ears get infected. Giving pets vitamin C can help the adrenal glands work more efficiently. Pets weighing under 15 pounds can take between 100 and 250 milligrams of vitamin C a day. Cats and dogs 15 to 50 pounds can take 250 to 500 milligrams a day, and larger dogs can take 500 milligrams two or three times a day. Vitamin C can cause diarrhea, so you may have to cut back the dose until you find an amount that your pet will tolerate.

Eliminate toxins with a healthy, all-natural diet. Giving your pet a healthy, homemade diet or high-quality commercial food that doesn't contain corn, additives or preservatives can greatly reduce the amount of wax that the ears produce while also helping to boost the immune system.

Air out the ears. Increasing air circulation inside the ears can control the growth of bacteria, yeast and fungi. Trim or pluck hair inside the ears periodically to allow more air to get inside.

Strengthen the digestive tract. Supplements such as bromelain and quercetin (with bromelain) can help prevent an allergic response in the gastrointestinal tract, making food allergies less of a problem.

Here is the source:

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/go/index.php/419/dog-ear-infections/

These products are all available in a human health store.I have used the white vinegar and vitamin C myself with great success.

He may become nauseated due to a vestibular disorder:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

I hope the natural solutions give him relief very soon.

Please let me know how your baby is feeling. I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert