Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has a rash on her nose. Is there anything I ...

Customer Question
My cat has a rash...
My cat has a rash on her nose. Is there anything I can put on it to heal it without taking her to my vet?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Cat
10/4/2007
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 10 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

How old is she?

please describe the rash in detail?

how long is it there?

indoor kitty?

Thanks,

Terri

She is about 2 1/2 years old, indoor/outdoor cat. I noticed the rash a few weeks ago, and I thought that she had just gotten into a fight with another cat. However the marks have not gotten any better, and it looks like it might actually be getting a little worse. The rash is just on her nose and it is tiny red dots. They almost look like open sores, but very small. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks a lot!

Please stand by, I am typing detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Thank you!

Dear friend,

I am concerned this may be Ringworm.

However, rhere are a few possibilities so I will try to cover everything.

Stress weakens the immune system and allows opportunistic bacteria to take over.

Fortunately cats do not get as many skin conditions as dogs so they are much easier to diagnose and treat. They can be allergic reactions, fungus or infection.

Here is the most common with photos:

Feline acne:

www.fabcats.org/acneandstudail.html

Ringworm:

www.fabcats.org/ringworm.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

You can use a bit of lamysil but do not get it in her eyes or let her lick any.

Miliary Dermatitis:

www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/mil-derm.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliary_dermatitis

granuloma:

http://www.fabcats.org/eosinophilicgranuloma.html

Ringworm can be recurrent and is treated with a topical fungicide or a vaccine shot.She may hav picked it up at the vets.

miliary dermatitis can come from a food allergy or the bite of even ONE flea.This is treated with one cortesone shot or neosporen it is safe it she licks a bit.

Granuloma is also usually allergic in nature and can be treated cortesone or antibiotics or both.

There is also alopecia which is usually symetrical and can be self inflicted:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1338&articleid=195

A staph infection is also a possibility and can recur at times when the immune system is weakened temporarily.

Please look at the photos and let me know which best relates to your cats issues and I will be happy to discuss this further with you

If it is most likely miliary dermatitis or Ringworm.Even ONE flea bite could cause it in an allergic kitty..You can apply a bit of neosporen .a few times a day for that.

Repeated use of steroids can be dangerous because they can harm the kidneys. They will also further depress her immune system so I would not want her to get more than one shot.

Have your vet shine a black light because if it is Ringworm - the steroids will NOT help one bit

she can have one oral dose of program as that will distroy ringworm:

http://www.showcatsonline.com/program_and_ringworm.htm

Please let me know if you see it in the pics.and how your baby is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
It looked most like the picture of Miliary Dermatitis. I actually had a ringworm on my leg about a month ago....my dermatologist said taht I could have otten it from a pet. Could she have given it to me?

I was thinking of putting neosporin on it last week, but I wasn't sure if that would be harmful to her. I will try that if you think it would be okay and if it doesn't get any better, I will just take her to the vet.

I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jennifer Layton

Hi Jennifer,

Yes Ringworm is contagious between species. Try the neosporen - if it does not clear up then is is likely ringworm and you can use a bit of lamysil.

Let me know how she is.I hope YOU feel better too!!

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert