Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Vet assistant, cat lover, owner and rescuer
3569931

I wanted to see if a cat can have the croup My cat is not ...

I wanted to see if a cat can have the croup? My cat is not even a year old yet and he throws up quite a bit but eats his food fairly fast so that's usually when it occurs. But he also coughs afterwards like it irritated his throat some. This morning he did not get sick but coughed for a 1/2 hr or so off and on. It almost sounds like the croup or something. Doesn't cough anything up and other than that acts normal and plays. He has a vet appointment on Monday but any suggestions what it could be? Concerned
Category: Cat
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 10 years ago.
Hello, it is quite possible that your baby has a case of eating to fast and taking in too much air as he does and thus this causes the vomiting. You may want to try and place a ball or something in his food bowel so that he can not gobble it all down and slowly eat around the object. this will help him eat slower and not take in so much air when he eats. The coughing could be due to the fast swallowing of the food itself and it irritating as it goes down. Hopefully if you can slow the eating down it will also stop the irritation to the throat. Try the ball in his food bowel and see if that helps things out at all. If it doesn't then you may want to have the vet check him for some type of respiratory infection that is causing the coughing and vomiting. If it is an upper respiratory thing then you will be able to treat it with antibiotics from your vet. I personally am leaning towards the food gobbling as being the main culprit in the problem. I hope this helps you some but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.