Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Is the lucky bamboo plant toxic to cats

Is the lucky bamboo plant toxic to cats? Online it says both it is and it isn't. Sites say it's also called Dracaena sanderiana and Dracaena Palm and ribbon plant so I looked each of them up and again, got both answers! I just got one as a present and have 4 cats - one has colitis so I need to know! Help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 years ago.

I know what you mean, re: the confusing things you read online about certain plants. Some are DEFINITELY toxic to cats and others are slightly toxic or will make the cat sick but not 'that' sick, if ingested.

When I became a cat parent, I gave up owning plants. The two just don't mix. Even if you feel you've placed the plant in an area which is inaccessible to your cats, it's never safe. I would not keep the plant if there's even a sliver of a possibility that it poses a health risk for your cats.

I don't know if you've seen this site, but yes, it does list the lucky bamboo as toxic, just as all the other sites I've checked:

http://www.theanimalrescue.com/toxic.html

If one of your cats has colitis, I assume this is being managed by your vet, and has nothing to do with the plant.

I hope all will be well!

Cher