Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has a big lump on his tummy, do you know what it is

Customer Question
I have a tabby cat...
I have a tabby cat that is middle aged. He has a big lump on his tummy that has a soar on it, it is hurting him very baaddly! it is leaking clear fluid mixed with blood. we are really worried about it and can not get him to the vet right now! do you know what it is, and is there any thing we can do untill we can get him to the vet? it looks like it has a bruise around it and he won't let us touch it.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Cat
5/4/2007
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 10 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

I'm so sorry to hear your cat has this problem that's painful to him!

Do you have any idea how he got this sore/bruise/lump? Does he go outside and could he have been bitten or scratched by another cat or animal? When did you first notice it?

Why can't you get him to the vet at this time? Is no vet open in your area?

How old is he?

Does he have any other medical problems and/or is he taking any medication?

Thanks for your additional detail, so I can help you better to help your cat.

Cher
He is an outdoor cat and that is possible, but the reason that i am worried is because I noticed it last night and it wasn't as big. it was a little lump with a scab on it. it has trippled in size and it is bothering him tons more. the whole area is very big and not all of the lump is open. it is like a little hole. it is also hard there!!!

We can't get him to the vet because my mom is not home from work yet, and we have no way to get there!

He has been in pretty good health but is loosing some hair expeshily around his stomach his stomach is bald.

i am not sure his exact age but i am guessing about 6 or 7.

thank you sooooo much for your time!
Hi again, and thanks very much for your additional and important information!

There's no doubt that your cat needs to see a vet immediately. If he was bitten or scratched by another cat or other animal, this type of wound is called an 'abscess', which means an infection under the skin, and it must be opened properly, and drained by the vet, then it will be cleaned out so no bacteria remains, and the vet will also prescribe antibiotics to prevent any further infection from developing and making him really sick. It's also possible that he was jumping over something, like a metal or wooden fence, etc., and got a scratch/scrape/bruise from a sharp object, and this is why he developed this wound/lump which is oozing.

Another possibility is that he got a cutereba or bot fly larvae (worm) which burrowed under his skin and this particular worm can release bacteria into the bloodstream if it's crushed while under the cat's skin, and this releases toxins. Usually, the area, if a bot fly larvae is present, looks like a sore or lump with a pinhole opening for the worm to breathe. It's possible that this area has grown since last night due to trauma (he hit it on something else, after the initial bruise or the bot worm was crushed, releasing the toxins/bacteria) or, the abscess is becoming more serious.

If your cat is now inside, do not let him outside again. If you can't touch the area because it's too painful for him, he may have to be mildly sedated by the vet, in order to treat him. I would suggest, if you CAN touch him to treat this area yourself, temporarily, until you can get him to the vet, put warm compresses on the bruised area to help draw the infection to the surface. Also, try to dab some hydrogen peroxide on the area that's oozing, with a cotton ball. You can even 'drip' the peroxide onto the open area of the wound without actually touching it. Then, put
a thin film of Neosporin or any antibiotic cream you have in the house, on the open area.

If at all possible, ask a neighbor, friend, etc., to drive you to your regular vet (or any local vet that's open), or an ER vet center, nearby. Take a taxi, if you can. If your mom won't be home for a while (many hours), I believe your cat really must be seen immediately, so if you are in touch with your mom at work, let her know what's going on and ask if she can come home now, or if she can suggest a person who lives near you, that might give you and your cat a ride to the vet. Do you know if you have any "Mobile Vets" in your city? Look in you Yellow Pages under "Veterinarians" for listings of "Mobile Vets". They come to YOU; they do charge a little more, but it's worth it, to help your cat, and he really needs help immediately.

I hope you're able to get the cat seen by the vet very soon, and please keep me posted on how he's doing and what the vet's diagnosis is.

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist