Don
Don, Catman
Experience:  Here to help my cat owner friends,intense research when needed!
1126735

I believed my hamster suffered from heat stroke and died ...

I believed my hamster suffered from heat stroke and died but am now reading advice on the net - and am afraid he could still have been alive, he was completely still and not breathing for about 15 minutes, eyes and mouth open and appeared totally lifeless

Hello friend,

Thankyou for your question.

I am sorry your hamster died . It is sometimes difficult to tell what is going on. Would you please let me know the answer to the following? It may help me help you best.

What symptoms did you see with your hamster?

Was he panting,did he show weakness? Did he collapse and then die?

Any details may help.

Waiting

Hello friend,

Thankyou for your question.

Any details may help.

Waiting for you,Don

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
the problem is that when i went to check on him - i moved him to the study where it was unfortunately too hot - he was simply lying there in a lifeless state on his stomach. We moved him immediately and tried to check if he was still breathing but i wasn't aware that cold water could help - he seemed dead. Now that I'm reading all the articles i'm terribly afraid that I may have buried him alive, or could have done more to save him, even though some sites state 5-10 minutes and we definitely moved him to a cooler space for longer before burial. Would his eyes have been closed if he was really dead? As stated his eyes and mouth were wide open.

HelloCustomerthankyou for your reply.

I am as certain as I can be that you've done the very best you could and your hamster simply didn't recover. It is common for hamsters to pass away with their eyes and mouth open.

I hope you consider getting another hampster eventually because you are clearly and excellent hamster owner who deeply cares. We need owners like you in this world where not everyone will care for a hamster.

Let me know please if there's anything I can help with further?

Sincerely,Don

p.s. when you're ready to consider another hampster you might want to view the following.

An example of hamsters waiting for homes that have been rescued:

http://www.hamsterrescue.org.uk/

http://groups.msn.com/Hamstersgalore/rescue.msnw

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
i'm sorry, i may seem completely neurotic but do you know what actually happens when they pass away from heat stroke, in other words i'm concerned that he suffered a great deal

I understand exactly how this feels and certainly every good pet owner searches themselves for a "way they could have done better" for their loved pet.

This is normal and is part of what makes us good owners.

To be very honest it does not sound like he suffered at all ( when I consider the most common ways that hamsters die it seems like whether a stroke or heart attack he did not suffer as much as other ways).

Included here is the link for ways hamsters die and you'll see what I mean when I say his suffering was minimal if at all compared to other "common ways".

http://www.angelfire.com/my/hamstertales/death.html