Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care.
673497

How much Xanax is too much for a cat

I have a four pound, 18 -2 0 year old cat who is dying. He is unable to walk very well and it is his time. I am debating having him euthanized, but I have done this for other animals and it is not that pleasant for them. the vet said I could give my baby a little bit to keep him calm, but I am wondering how much would help him pass to his next life, if Xanax would even do that for him.

Jacquie:

First, let me say I am sorry that you are going through this and your boy also. I know how hard it is to see them suffer. Please, please do not attempt to euthanize your baby using medication. The ramifications of an overdose are very very painful. They don't just go to sleep. There can be seizures, vomiting, abdominal pain and worse associated with this. By having your veterinarian humanely euthanize, it is much more peaceful. I am not sure what problems you had in the past making it unpleasant. I have had this done several time...unfortunately...and each time it was very calm for my beloved pet. Please discuss this with your vet if you feel the time is here. Good luck and may your baby cross the bridge in peace and wait patiently for you to join him.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: I took Spridle to the vet and had him euthanized this morning. It was peaceful and he slept quietly last night after a small, dr. recommended dose of Xanax.

The vet. Dr. felt that he had a brain tumour, which caused his actions, stiffness, and that without euthanization he may have lived a while because his heart was so strong (and big!)

Thank you for your response. Jacquie