My kitten, about 5 weeks old, has crsuty residue around her eyes, making it difficult to open,. She is also throwing up

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My kitten, about 5 weeks old, has crsuty residue around her eyes, making it difficult to open,. She is also throwing up something that looks like chunks of white curdled milk, and is has clear mucus in her yellowish stools, which seems to squirt out. What's wrong with her please?
Answered by Lori in 48 mins 16 years ago
imglogo
Lori
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

What exactly is your kitten eating? Also how long has this been going on? Especially the vomiting?
Customer
Reply to Lori's Post: Hi Thanks for your response-- the kitty has been vomiting for the last 30 hours or so, and seems to have a lot of gas-- She is still nursing, but has eaten some of her mother's crunchies (dry chow)
Hi Julia-I'm sorry to ask another question, but what food does her mom eat? Is she getting any milk other than mom's?kydoll38904.5912427431
Customer
Reply to Lori's Post: The mother cat is only eating Purina cat chow, but is an outdoor feral cat, so she scavenges from the neighbors... The kitty is getting no additional milk beside the mother's milk. There are two other kitties who do not have this problem. Again, my thanks.

Hi Julia--

I would pull the babies off of mom - it sounds as tho her milk may be going bad and this little guy is having more problems than her siblings with digesting it. If you can get them inside and start them on Kitten Chow mixed with Kitten Milk Replacer (not cow's milk), I think this will turn around with no further effort on your part. You may want to withhold food overnite to give her tummy a chance to settle. Also, mix a spoonful of plain unflavored yogurt in with her food to help restore the natural flora in the gut. Offer plenty of fresh water and let me know if she is still having the problem by tomorrow nite.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Lori
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Lori
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.