Marie
Marie, Mulitple cat owner
Experience:  Rescued /vetted/and placed in adoption over 150 cats and kittens
963094

How do I get rid of fleas at my barn They are on the ...

Customer Question

How do I get rid of fleas at my barn? They are on the cats, horses and even in the hay
Category: Cat
Expert:  Marie replied 11 years ago.
Hi!~This is a bummer. The ideal way is to remove everything, fumigate and treat animals and start over. This is extremely costly. You can buy Diatomaeus Earth, Concer Brand is the most known at most larger Nurseries. It is deadly to fleas but will not hurt animals. It works mechanically by piercing the bodies of the fleas and they die. However, you still have to put a fleas drop on each cat and bath the horses. If you go this route, please wear a mask so you do not get this in your eyes, nose,or mouth. This also works on bedding. I'm real reluctant about the hay problem. You could put some around the hay and see if that reduces the problem, but even though they say it is harmless to animals, I would not want them to eat much of it. The flea cycle is at least three months. And once the animals are treated it will reduce as the DE reduces the population and the cats are treated each month with Frontline. That is really your only two choices, and the safety of the animals comes first. I hope this helped you. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Remember to click the ACCEPT button if this has helped you.