Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have three 7 week old kittens that were abandoned in ...

Customer Question
I have three 7 week...
I have three 7 week old kittens that were abandoned in an alley in a carrier with a note saying "I can't find homes for them." One is at the vets getting tube fed and fluids. They all have URI. These are shelter rescues and we need to know what is a safe length of time to wait before we do our usual early spay/neuter. We like to get them back to the shelter before they get too big. It is easier to find them forever homes when they are babies. We do our early S/N at 2 1/2 pounds. Also we need a dosage chart for the different strengths of Flagyl. We have one for 125mg but the new bottles are 200mg. We use the liquid for the babies.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Cat
5/19/2006
Cat Vet: Courtney Carroll, DVM, Veterinarian replied 11 years ago
Courtney Carroll, DVM
Courtney Carroll, DVM, Veterinarian
What are you giving them Flagyl for?

You will need to wait until they are completely done with upper respiratory medications and symptoms before anesthesia, or it will come back on you. It just depends on the cat how quickly they get rid of it, and on what medications you are using. Flagyl is not appriopriate treatment, so let me know if you are using something else.
Reply to Courtney Carroll, DVM's Post: Sorry, This was two different questions. We only use the Flagyl when we suspect the kittens have Giardia. The URI kittens are being treating with Clavamox and Terramycin eye ointment.
OK, that makes a lot more sense

Flagyl dose for giardia is 50 mg/kg

To convert lbs to kg, divide lbs by 2.2

Write me back if you still need help
Reply to Courtney Carroll, DVM's Post: This is not working. Flagyl comes in 125mg strengths, 200 and 300 mg strengths.

I have the breakdown for the 125mg. It is .1ml per pound. So an 8oz kitten weight = .05cc/ml of Flagyl.

I can calculate it from there. What I am asking is how much do you give kittens between 8oz and two and a half pounds of weight if the Flagy is 200 or 300 mg in strength? Boy I really feel stupid here. Judith
Judith--I need to know how many mg per ml the flagly liquid is--it should say on the bottle. Then I can figure it out for you.
Reply to Courtney Carroll, DVM's Post: One Of the bottle of Flagyl is 125 mg. one bottle is 200 mg and one bottle is 300 mg. in strength. I understand the 125 mg is .1cc per pound. Why are there different strengths? I can do the math but the dosages are so small for young kittens. If an 8 oz kitten gets .05 of the 125 mg the 300 mg would have to be converted into half drops. That can't be done accurately. Is there something else we can use for the babies that will work just as well? Flagyl liquid is hard to get here in the USA anyway. We generally have to make a trip to Mexico to buy it. This is why I am writing to you. None of our vets are cooperative on this matter.
Courtney Carroll, DVM
Courtney Carroll, DVM
Courtney Carroll, DVM, Veterinarian